By heartmytrucker - 14/04/2014 21:58 - United States - Erin

Today, my boyfriend turned down a job that would have more than doubled his income because he didn't want to upset his current boss by quitting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 147
You deserved it 4 551

heartmytrucker tells us more.

heartmytrucker 17

Ok, some details, My boyfriend is a truck driver, the job he was offered would have meant a dedicated run instead of what he does now, which is just hoping that the workers get his load ready in time, otherwise he ends up losing a day of work, he already knows that he gets paid less than most of the other drivers in our area. The biggest problem is that his boss is his stepfather and he felt like he would be leaving him high and dry. And I totally agree that money isn't everything, but this new job meant not just more money but also more home time to spend with me and our daughter. On the upside though after I sent this one we sat down and had a long talk and he did decide to take the new job after all (I think it helped that the new place told him they were going to buy him a new truck!).

Top comments

JMichael 25

It's not always about the money

larrena2377 26

I think he may need to grow a pair.

Comments

I think there may be a bit more to it than you're explaining to us.

Too bad it's not your decision it's his. Money isn't everything. You'll learn one day

What does this have to do with your life? It's his money.

Goblin182 26

Its his money, but she is his GF. And if they are planning a future together then they will pool their resources to fund their lifestyle, so yeah it has everything to do with her life.

Attacksloth 33

He seems to be happy with the choice, and if he knew you posted about him on here, let's just say he might be a little pissed off at you. Bring it up with him and talk it through instead of venting about it on a website where people are essentially anonymous.

He should tell his current boss and get a raise.

Goblin182 26

I don't think the upsetting part is that he turned down a higher paying job, (well, that is probably part of it) but the reason he gave. Not wanting to upset his current boss? Obviously he cares more about his boss than his boss cares about him or he would be making more money.

So you have a loyal boyfriend. Must be horrible. Had it ever occurred to you he might just really like his current job and that, you know, money isn't everything?

I'm going to explain this in the shortest way possible, happiness is relative. Most people don't understand that. I just joined the world of paying for everything myself and I'm barely scraping by but I love what I do and I'm 100 percent happy in this situation. Stress and happiness are not just reflexes, they are choices you can make. You can choose to stress over barely getting by, or you can embrace it and be happy you can get by. Money has no baring on this, I've seen homeless people happier then 50% of America because they embrace their life.

You do know a high statistic of homeless people have some form of mental illness. I saw a woman rapped in a blanket on a corner watch over her 2 year old as he played with dirty toy trucks. You find me the happiness in that. Money doesn't bring happiness but it brings peace of mind.

#49. Awww look we have a little philosopher. Isn't that cute? *switches off condescending tone* As one of the other comments said, money can't buy happiness, but it can buy peace of mind. And knowing you will manage to scrape by will help you on the road to happiness. If you're constantly being harassed about when you're paying your last 3 months of rent, or desperate to find a job, unsure of whether or not your home will be repossessed or whether you can afford to raise your kids, it's hard to be happy.

#64- at least he had truck toys! And I'm sure that little boy was just as happy as a pig in slop. You're thinking too hard about it. Humans are meant to live outside just like the rest of the animal kingdom, it is not so bad as you think.

FMLL2016 16

Don't make him get the other job he probably just likes his current job

It's better to love the life you live and live the life you love. He may just love his job, you never know.