By miss_strauss - 25/01/2016 18:21 - United States - Conroe

Today, my boyfriend moved in with me. I just walked into my kitchen to find my thirty year-old, perfectly seasoned cast iron skillet completely submerged in soapy water in the sink, presumably from last night when he washed the dishes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 723
You deserved it 4 191

miss_strauss tells us more.

OP here. I had cooked a dinner in a sort of celebration of our first night living together, and he offered to do the dishes afterwards. I happily agreed and asked him to leave the skillet for me because it requires extra TLC. When I woke up and found it this morning, I went to work making sure there wasn't too much damage done, and he was horrified when realized what he did. I couldn't be mad at him, because he was only trying to help. Also, for those wondering about why I've kept a skillet for this long. I'm only 23, but it was my grandmothers and then my dad inherited it when she passed away. He passed it on to me when I went to college and got my own apartment. Cast iron, if maintained and loved properly, can be the best tool of a good kitchen and can last forever. It's really not strange to small town southerners to have cast iron pans that are older than them:P

Top comments

andits 21

Hmmmm I don't think many people would know what's wrong with that. Lol I honestly don't. But now I know not to do that.

Blasphemy, he needs an exorcism to drive out the devil that compelled him to commit this heinous act against your cooking implement.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Why is it "for her" and "so she doesn't have to"? they live together. dishes are a SHARED chore. it's just as much for him as it is for her. get over yourself, doing basic house hold chores is doing the bare minimum to contribute, not doing something nice.

Sure not everyone uses cast iron so why would they know but he didn't do the dishes, all he did was put them in soapy water for the night and how is doing the dishes at your own home a nice thing to do for your woman, you make it like it's some kind of ******* gift/present!

unless 39 he just was letting the cast iron soak since it had some hard to get off oil.

You should never let cast iron soak it will rust!

Erm...OP didn't say she hated him now. It's just an unfortunate situation.

Oh no that is just horrible, oh gosh just so sad, gee that sucks!

*wince* I feel your pain...however, for those who do not use cast iron, it's a simple mistake.

Yeah, like I did this with a set my grandma had for about 15 years. I personally don't like cast iron. And I did the dishes after she made supper (parents and I stayed the night because we live 5 1/2 hours away) and I didn't know why you shouldn't do that. Her whole set was messed up sadly

oh no well..it's a new beginning of him joining you in your home I guess it can be a new beginning of you guys reseasoning together too?

at least he did the dishes. maybe you can season a new one together as a start of your living together

ourtneyc 14

I don't understand how kitchenware can be perfectly seasoned? And why do you own 30 year old kitchenware? I assume it was passed down the family and has some sort of sentimental value. Either way I'm sorry OP I'm sure he meant no harm at least.

Fifty-somethings are allowed to have boyfriends and girlfriends that they've just recently moved in with too.

LostInTheZone11 29

Cast iron becomes non stick and lasts longer through the oil and heat used on it. If done properly soap won't harm the "seasoning" because the oil polymerizes, but soaking will.

tapdancecolumbia 14

Look up cast iron skillets. They are very, very different from the lousy $7 teflon coated crap most people are used to. The older the cast iron skillet is, the better seasoned it is (assuming it was taken care of properly), and that makes them wonderful to cook with.

ourtneyc 14

wow I asked a question no need to be a bitch

ourtneyc 14

I asked a question. my age is irrelevant. "honey"

ourtneyc 14

thank you for explaining it to me.

searched too for #33's comment. soap is okay, soaking not so much.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
fotomiep 7

Sweetheart, stop being a snooty b*tch to someone simply based on their age. At least she asked a question, she didn't judge, like you seem to insist on doing.

Or 85, she just didn't realise cast iron last forever, unlike modern day pans (depending on what you get). Why everyone so quick to judge about how self absorbed people are these days?

Adree 15

Okay for someone who doesn't know how to care for a cast iron skillet, #25 wasn't saying anything wrong. She wasn't rude or bitchy. And at 17 I didn't know anything about cast iron skillets either. so cut her some slack and stop being a ******* **** to someone who simply didn't understand, and her age is irrelevant because we just learned a grown ******* man didn't know how to care for one. Honey. Not everyone keeps everything for 30+ years. And I don't understand why her comment thanking someone for explaining it got down voted. **** off, all of you.

Adree 15

And also, #31, OP of this FML is 23. Honey. ****.

Adree 15

okay, #31, her age isn't relevant. you're an idiot. if you'd looked further you'd have seen that OP is 23 and the skillet was in fact handed down to her. the skillet is older than she is.

#138 this comment thread is already a train wreck but if you'd bothered to check you would notice that OP's comment was posted after the comments speculating about potential age.

aeryn97 17

you have a boyfriend that does the dishes? lucky!

A partner who drags their feet on household chores is being a baby. Girlfriends aren't mothers.

aeryn97 17

mine just believes that his day ends at 4pm. then he games. the weekends are his entitled days off so he's entitled to relax and moans if he has to babysit. he games pretty much all the time if he's not on the ps4 or computer then he's gaming on his mobile phone. I love how I've been down voted but damn I'd find a man who did the dishes (without bring told) downright sexy. sure I'm not his mother but he was raised in an archaic family where his dad worked long shifts so his mother bent over backwards to do everything. the house is the woman's responsibility attitude and if I don't keep it clean it's disrespecting him. the man used to leave his trash on the floor too. then the kid imitated him and told him she didn't have to pick up her trash because mummy does it all. he realized that wasn't the right thing to teach her and now at least cleans up after himself.

deathstroke990 22

if you both live together?? then its a shared responsibility???? if he tells you something is "a womens work" then tell him to go **** himself????

#30 why did you even spent time to answer these people? A man doing dishes is indeed not very common, so she is lucky to have one. So what? I'm starting to think to get downvoted in here is kind of an intellectual achievement.

Plus not every guy has to do stuff in the household, I know both of my grandmas, and my grandmother all loving being housewives. They clean the whole house while the men worked. Personally I enjoy cleaning and would like to be a house husband, but some people do actually enjoy having all the work.

#30, why on EARTH to you refer to a man taking care of his own children as "babysitting". Are they not his kids? Is it a favor? Is he getting paid? No. He's a parent. He's taking care of the lives he created. He is NOT babysitting. Good grief with that paragraph, it's so clear to see that you're in a disrespectful relationship.

No, you were down voted because a man doing dishes isn't uncommon. If someone won't pull their own weight, talk to them and work on it or drop it. Just because you put up with such sexist bullshit reasoning doesn't mean it's common for men to be like that.

Exactly! My knee jerk response was "Dump his ass. That's like unknowingly killing your grandmother. He may not have known what he was doing but you can't repair the loss either".

OMG! No he didnt! Well time to brillo and re-season. make him do it, it'll not happen again(or club him with it maybe, hmmm, better not)