By miss_strauss - 25/01/2016 18:21 - United States - Conroe

Today, my boyfriend moved in with me. I just walked into my kitchen to find my thirty year-old, perfectly seasoned cast iron skillet completely submerged in soapy water in the sink, presumably from last night when he washed the dishes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 723
You deserved it 4 191

miss_strauss tells us more.

OP here. I had cooked a dinner in a sort of celebration of our first night living together, and he offered to do the dishes afterwards. I happily agreed and asked him to leave the skillet for me because it requires extra TLC. When I woke up and found it this morning, I went to work making sure there wasn't too much damage done, and he was horrified when realized what he did. I couldn't be mad at him, because he was only trying to help. Also, for those wondering about why I've kept a skillet for this long. I'm only 23, but it was my grandmothers and then my dad inherited it when she passed away. He passed it on to me when I went to college and got my own apartment. Cast iron, if maintained and loved properly, can be the best tool of a good kitchen and can last forever. It's really not strange to small town southerners to have cast iron pans that are older than them:P

Top comments

andits 21

Hmmmm I don't think many people would know what's wrong with that. Lol I honestly don't. But now I know not to do that.

Blasphemy, he needs an exorcism to drive out the devil that compelled him to commit this heinous act against your cooking implement.

Comments

middlenamefrank 8

Honestly....I feel very sorry for your boyfriend. He washed the dishes, and instead of you appreciating that, you're pissed off that he didn't know something you never told him about. You need to lighten up, honey.

Are you really complaining about a guy doing dishes?

corky1992 33

Probably should have communicated with him about how to properly wash it. That's your own fault.

KryssLB 14

OP did say in her reply further up that she specifically told him it had to be handled a particular way and asked him to leave it for her. He apparently thought he was helping by soaking it. So she totally did tell him to not touch it and that she would deal with it, because it had particular handling needs, but he ignored her.

What is the whole "seasoning" thing and why can't you wash them?

It's disgusting you'd eat of a fish you haven't washed in 30 years. Don't give a **** about seasoning it.

Dude, take a chill pill. Washing is the worst thing you can do to a well seasoned cast iron skillet. A well-seasoned skillet is less sticky than a nonstick pan, you could flip pancakes without a spatula. The pan gets more than hot enough during cooking to kill off any bacteria or anything you need to worry about, just gently wipe/scrape out the bits while everything is still warm after you use it and you should be fine. I would recommend not making such an inflammatory comment when you have little apparent experience with the subject matter.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#121 You do wash a cast iron skillet, even with soap... You just have to rinse it very well and put it on the stove with heat to dry instead of allowing it to air dry. And obviously, you absolutely cannot let it soak. Cast iron skillets aren't gross or dirty.

Badkarma4u 17

I have no idea what a seasoned cast iron skillet is. I would assume its just something to cook with, and I probably would have done the same thing. I learned something new.

It's one of the most important things in a southern kitchen. I use mine every day.

virtue333 4

People don't get it lol . Cast iron, the original good ones can last generations! And to get it seasoned perfectly is tough! It takes forever!! Lol as long as you explain it to him that's all that matters

Oh nooo. Honest mistake though. Throw it on the stove so it won't rust and start over.

raz0rf0x 8

my wife did that once. I explained to her how it worked and now she lets me clean it myself. mine was "perfectly seasoned" again after two or three more cooking sessions.