By Raven3434 - 27/09/2009 18:33 - United States

Today, my boyfriend found out that he has kidney failure. He was feeling sick for a few weeks and I had told him to drink lots of fluids and eat vegetables. Apparently that is really bad for kidney patients. I was killing him with water and spinach salads. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 620
You deserved it 11 271

Raven3434 tells us more.

Just to put it out there, he had complete kidney failure. He is now on dialysis. His kidneys are toast and he needs a transplant. Apparently it was caused by years of high blood pressure. His kidneys were in trouble before we even met. And I had been encouraging him to go to the doctor. He had seen a few doctors, but nobody diagnosed him until his lungs were full of fluid. He can't drink too much fluid because he can't get rid of it without dialysis. He cant eat too many fruits or vegetables because he can't process out the extra phosphate and potassium. He also has to limit his sodium, but that wasn't part of my original post. Just wanted to clarify things. Thanks to all of you out there who offered support. Its been a really hard time.

Top comments

it not your fault, in normal circumstances, that's a good thing

You must feel like shit. FYL. But it's not your fault.

Comments

you didn't know it was hurting him, and neither did he, so you can't feel guilty. now that you know just do your reearch on it, and all the different stages, because all require certain needs and i'm sure you'll be there for him to help him the correct way:)

bugmenotmofo 34

he is going to die because of you

Herbal_fml 0

Quit whining. Your life isn't ******. You were trying to help him. He's the one with kidney failure, he should be whining, not you.

fake. vegetables ARE what he should have been eating. people who are suffering kidney failure need a low sodium and low carbohydrate diet... vegetables are perfect. faaaaaake!!!

greatnt249 0

Wrong; electrolytes (such as calcium and phosphorus) and copious amounts of water are the LAST thing a patient with CKD needs.

agreed, you are wrong. the kidneys are needed to rid excess electrolytes, and if not functioning properly that can cause problems you are obiously not aware of.

_mystique_ 0

Phosphorus & potassium are the two major things CKD pts must limit (in addition to sodium). Dialysis RN for 6 years.

cupcake85 0

not to mention, water is what kidney patients SHOULD be drinking....

Exactly. Next time she should stick to what she knows, which is apparently all about how to be a really dedicated produce stock-girl...

haha_ydi_bitch 0

Oh well, you didn't know. It's not like it was on pourpose. Good luck though.

sondramcfail 0

Today my doctor told me I have kidney failure. He mentioned that I should a avoid drinking excessive amounts of water and vegetables. My girlfriend has been telling me for weeks to have lots of water and vegetables. She's been killing me with water and spinach. FML.

You're a terrible girlfriend. Just admit it, you are trying to kill him so he doesn't find out you're cheating on him!! I'm kidding, not really a YDI obviously, but I don't think it's exactly an FML. As long as he didn't die, and he didn't break up with you because of this (I'm guessing he wouldn't) then life goes on.

Well, this is a tough one to vote for, but only because you didn't intentionally do anything wrong. One one hand, you care about your boyfriend and want him to get better, but on the other hand, you didn't know what to do in the case of kidney failure. In my opinion, you mainly deserved it because you didn't research known treatments for situations that you don't know much about. So, my final verdict: YDI.

she didn't know he had kidney failure!

bre_zip_it_up13 11

i put YDI because he was sick for a few weeks although it was good you gave him fluids and stiff he was sick for more than a week and could have suggested that he go see a doctor after a few days of no progesse