By KaylaRox1908 - 10/04/2016 20:12 - Canada - Toronto

Today, my boss praised me for always ranking first at work and how she hopes I keep it up for a long time. I then had to awkwardly hand her my letter of resignation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 969
You deserved it 1 922

HappyItalian tells us more.

When she told me this it was at the end of the work day so I had no other choice but to give it to her at that moment because my shift was over. This job was in retail and this particular store ranks all their employees together from all of their stores across Southern Ontario. I only worked there for a couple of months and it was my first job, so my coworkers grew to take advantage of me or try to stop my sales (yes, they found a way), so that's why I quit. To those of you saying I should've gotten a letter of recommendation: my boss no longer works there and has been replaced by one of those said coworkers! Oh well.

Top comments

lexiieeex3 32

That's just bad timing but neither of you could have done anything to make the situation less awkward. Good for you for sticking with your guns and not just staying there out of obligation. It probably took a lot to hand her that letter knowing it would be weird for the both of you but doing it will only open up better possibilities for you in the future.

Coming from being a manager, I know exactly how yours is feeling right now. "Oh ****, what am I going to do now" Congrats op I hope you found a better job that works for you.

Comments

If at first you don't succeed...try reloading the app next time.

I once got a promotion in the same meeting as handing over my resignation. I still got the higher grade for my last month :)

mwali02 32

Resigning is always a little awkward, even on the best of days. If she liked your performance so much, ask her to provide you a positive reference for future opportunities. Congratulations for your stellar work while employed at this company, and best of luck for your future endeavours OP! :)

Yikes. Well, kudos to you for getting it done anyways, eh?

born_hustla 26

If your boss is a great leader, I'm sure she'll understand and even give you a great letter of recommendation. In the end you have to do what's best for you.

"Great! So you'll give me a good reference?". In all seriousness, its great that they liked you but when something better comes along that's what you have to do. Hopefully there is no hard feelings.

When she told me this it was at the end of the work day so I had no other choice but to give it to her at that moment because my shift was over. This job was in retail and this particular store ranks all their employees together from all of their stores across Southern Ontario. I only worked there for a couple of months and it was my first job, so my coworkers grew to take advantage of me or try to stop my sales (yes, they found a way), so that's why I quit. To those of you saying I should've gotten a letter of recommendation: my boss no longer works there and has been replaced by one of those said coworkers! Oh well.

Well that's just sad. I'm sorry that happened to you OP. Is there any way you could find out what happened to that old boss, or if you could still use that job as a future reference? Just having had a job that didn't fire you or have any major complaints filed against you may help.

Hey I'm from southern Ontario too. What store was it? I've worked in a few retail stores and I've never heard of them ranking the employees like that.