By Anonymous - 23/02/2016 03:14 - United States - Rancho Cucamonga

Today, my boss decided that, because I got dragged into a vacation that I didn't even want to go on, she was going to take a promotion back before she even gave it to me. I don't know what's worse, losing the promotion or going on that crappy vacation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 361
You deserved it 1 824

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why couldn't you say no to the vacation?

I'm assuming you had asked off for the vacation ahead of time so that seems unfair that your boss wouldn't promote you because of it. I mean, you'll be coming back.

Comments

Why couldn't you say no to the vacation?

I'll go with all your friends/family planned a vacation someplace OP could really care less about but everyone else is really excited to go and OP doesn't want to mess it up for them.

I don't know about you, but if I was planning a holiday for my family and friends I'd rather they not come at all if they were going to be resentful or miserable about it!

Perhaps OP is a minor, and her parents forced her to come along? I know where I live you can get a job starting at 15 (and in other places as young as 14), so it's not too unbelievable that someone under 18 might be in line for a small promotion.

Some workplaces force their employees into vacation if they have too many vacation days piled up. I worked at one place where you could cash in days you didn't use, but not every employer wants to be out money; they'd rather just be out the man hours for however long the person is on forced vacation.

I'm assuming you had asked off for the vacation ahead of time so that seems unfair that your boss wouldn't promote you because of it. I mean, you'll be coming back.

I read it as the company is forcing them to go on a trip of some sort, and the boss is being petty and punishing them for it.

I don't think the op would be calling it a vacation if it was a business trip

Neither do I, but I get the feeling that this vacation was somehow work related.

Mathalamus 24

Life isn't fair. Maybe you will get promoted a few months down the road, or stand up for yourself and say no next time.

Why would HR get involved? If you are being considered for a promotion, you don't just ask for a bunch of time off in the middle of the process. Of course that would get you out of the running for the job. If I was the boss, I would take it as them not caring about the promotion and them not taking it seriously, so I would give it to the runner up who stayed behind. It looks like OP doesn't care from the boss's eyes.

I take it your vacation was approved in advance? If so, is it legal to do that? I once had my boss tell me I wasn't getting a promotion I deserved solely because I was pregnant. I should have fought it but I didn't know that was illegal at the time.

Adulting is hard sometimes. When you work you give up some things...

Goblin182 26

Did she take the promotion back because you went on vacation or because it was a crappie vacation? And how is this even related to your job?

How is something taken before it's given.

sounds like there was perhaps an affair going on between boss and employee. That explains why you didn't want to go on a vacation you went on anyway(i presume with the family), and why she was mad at you enough to take a non-official promotion away.