By KaylaRox1908 - 28/05/2016 02:04 - Canada - Toronto

Today, my bank refused to replace the debit card that I lost because, to prove I was the owner, I had to tell them about my last purchase and I couldn't remember it. I showed them my ID, and that could have worked, had they not misspelt my name on the account. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 348
You deserved it 1 097

HappyItalian tells us more.

OP here! Let me explain the situation: The reason why I did not notice my last name being misspelt for so long was because 1. The only way you could see it is if you went to a certain section of your online banking 2. It was just ONE letter off, and I have a very long last name so of course I didn't notice at first I actually came into the bank that day and told them both my problems (that my name was misspelt and that I had lost my card). I don't know why but FML rewrote/reworded my FML so they left out some things. The reason why I couldn't remember my last purchase was because I have a short-term memory problem, so even I have to check online almost on a daily basis what purchases I make. I told them this and they refused to accept that, so I gave them an answer: "I must've bought food, because that's the only thing I remember spending money on this week". And yes, the answer WAS food! They just thought that that was too vague to accept. I gave them all forms of ID I had, including my SS card, but they wouldn't accept it because of the misspelt name. I tried asking them if I could answer my security questions my account asks every time I log in, but they said that "doesn't count" because their online, phone, and in-bank banking are all different from each other. So in conclusion they just shrugged and told me to come back again tomorrow.

Top comments

ViviMage 38

Log into your online account and it will show you the most recent purchases. And if they won't freeze a lost card for your safety, get a new bank entirely!

Man that really sucks but if they don't freeze a card and send replacements then join a different bank

Comments

You can tell them one of the last purchases you made. so long as you have a basic understanding what was used, you're normally good

Geez what bank are you at that is like this? They're that stingy about giving you a new card AND can't spell your name correctly for your incredibly important bank account? I think it's time to switch banks OP.

OP here! Let me explain the situation: The reason why I did not notice my last name being misspelt for so long was because 1. The only way you could see it is if you went to a certain section of your online banking 2. It was just ONE letter off, and I have a very long last name so of course I didn't notice at first I actually came into the bank that day and told them both my problems (that my name was misspelt and that I had lost my card). I don't know why but FML rewrote/reworded my FML so they left out some things. The reason why I couldn't remember my last purchase was because I have a short-term memory problem, so even I have to check online almost on a daily basis what purchases I make. I told them this and they refused to accept that, so I gave them an answer: "I must've bought food, because that's the only thing I remember spending money on this week". And yes, the answer WAS food! They just thought that that was too vague to accept. I gave them all forms of ID I had, including my SS card, but they wouldn't accept it because of the misspelt name. I tried asking them if I could answer my security questions my account asks every time I log in, but they said that "doesn't count" because their online, phone, and in-bank banking are all different from each other. So in conclusion they just shrugged and told me to come back again tomorrow.

Wow, one letter off and they wouldn't help? That's ridiculous. I would have still assisted you. If it were like Smith and Fitzgerald then THAT'S a problem, not a single letter.

I work at a bank, and mistakes are made. The way they handled it though... Damn. No wonder most peopthate their bank. They should have been able to verify who you are with the documentation you provided, but also ask them to call the phone number they have on the account, as well as email the email address thet have on file. That *should* rest any other doubts they might have. Good luck!

Those are some ridiculous ways to verify identity. I would get a new bank as soon as I got whatever money I had in that one out.

Having your FML posted is just a yes or no. To my knowledge, no one touches them except for that and they are posted exactly as you wrote it...

That's incredibly lame and unfortunate. At my bank, we would have accepted your other forms of ID and as long as you could verify most things we would do everything we could to help you. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any Intrusts in Canada. I'm sorry you had to go through that, not all banks suck that bad!

Na. They edit FMLs to make it more coherent or sound funnier.

#31 Believe me, they do. They did it to another one of my FMLs... Lol

pharmalady 10

OP you should ask to see the original paperwork from when the account was opened to verify identity. Also, you didn't get checks with your account? Those would have your name and account number on them also verifying who you are.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think it is at least partially your own fault as well. You should have gotten that incorrect name fixed as soon as possible when they opened your account. Otherwise, yeah that sucks.

Before you sign the papers when you're opening your account you must check your information to see if they are correct to prevent this kind of problems. YDI

pharmalady 10

Everything could have been correct on the paperwork but mistyped by the person setting up the account.

At every bank I have ever signed up for in Canada (3 different ones) the info they get you to verify is a printout of what they entered in the system so there would be no way that something was misentered after it was verified.

In your defence the bank security questions are sometimes ridiculous. I tried to pay a bill over the phone and I was refused because the security question was "on which day of the week do you usually withdraw cash from an ATM?" I'm disabled and rarely go out and I almost never withdraw money and carry it on me, I pay everything by card. Even after explaining this they still declined my answers and couldn't put the payment through. I feel your pain, OP.

my ID and social security card and bank card had been stolen but I sure as hell know what I purchased last. lucky us that our bank system works and people can't just scam you out when they stole your wallet and you've blocked your card!