By PIGaming - 28/10/2013 05:35 - Australia - Melbourne

Today, l grounded my 17-year-old son from his computer because of his terrible attitude towards his homework. As payback, he convinced my 5-year-old daughter that if she goes to sleep, she'll never wake up. I now have a hysterical and sleepless child to deal with. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 718
You deserved it 8 673

PIGaming tells us more.

Hey all, im OP (although as my first time ever commenting, I hope this actually works!) Of course, in the end, my daughter fell asleep. although it was around 1am, a time I thought no five year old was physically capable of acheiving. You might say it was almost worse the next day, as she was very grumpy and tired! I forbid my son from attending a party (supposedly the 'party of the year'), and have spoken to his school who are arranging a meeting with him to discuss ways of bettering his homework skills and general motivation. Of course he probably despises of me, but I dont want him to look back on school like I have and regret he didn't work hard enough, let alone AT ALL. Thanks for all the comments, and hopefully I can interact more on this site with the community.

Top comments

But she'll fall asleep eventually, and you can punish your boy for even longer!

Or punish him even worse by making them share rooms.

Comments

"Oh, it looks like I misspoke. When I said temporary grounding I meant this is my new laptop, forever."

Computers are needed in order to d homework.

Since when? If you need to do research on something then go to your local library. Not everyone owns a computer.

Back in my day we had a thing called A No. 2 Pencil

What about typed assignments? In which case OP could just watch his son while he works. I should also add that libraries don't always have up-to-date books.

You know what libraries do have? Computers

My son's high school requires the use of a computer. If you don't have one, you can use the ones in the library or rent one from the school, but even his textbooks are online now. When he's in trouble, his laptop sits on the dining room table and he does his homework where I can see he's not gaming.

perdix 29

Make your kids share a room. That bastard will soon walk back his comments. By the way, how dumb is your daughter? She's been going to sleep for years and waking up -- why did she think today would be any different?

apparently when I was little I convinced my younger sister that spreading nutella on toast turns the nutella into vegemite, and she hated vegemite so she stopped eating nutella on toast. Man, kids are idiots. they'll believe anything anyone older than them says

27 - Not everyone actually, though I understand the assumption.

Protip: if you take perdix literally, you're doing it wrong.

pwnman 33

Well, she's five in the first place. Second, he maybe have convinced her that it will happen for that time.

miyaviichan 27

Um, I was a 4.0 student, and I'm in an honors program in college now. Even then, I hated homework with a passion in high school. I learned almost nothing from it. How the hell are you going to force a person to sit through 8 boring hours of lecture every day, and still expect them to want to do mindless assignments? Why would you ground a kid for his 'bad attitude' towards homework?

kixkat824 1

I was also a 4.0 student, graduated with honors and a double degree in college, and am now in graduate school. You may hate homework, but you still have to do it. Having a bad attitude towards it doesn't mean that he is also a 4.0 student - if you don't do the necessary work, you will not pass classes. This concept follows over into nearly any job - if you don't do necessary work, you are fired. This guy is being a good parent by enforcing the basic societal rules and attempting to show his kid that actions have repercussions. Additionally, what 16 year old boy deems it appropriate to be so cruelly petty to a 5 year old? That's ridiculous and completely immature, even for a 16 year old.

miyaviichan 27

Yeah it didn't say he doesn't do the homework. He just hates it. He's grounded because he hates it. And a 5 year old will get over it.

skyeyez9 24

Its called LIFE. You are going to do alot of "meaningless and stupid shit" plus homework is graded and its impossible to get a 4.0 without turning in homework. Because homework is counted towards your final grade. In my school, you can fail your class by not doing homework, despite getting all A's on your tests. You will be forced to do alot of meaningless crap at your career too.

Just because you hated homework and found it didn't do jack all for you does not mean it doesn't do jack for another person. Everyone learns differently. Some people find homework helpful regardless if they hate it or like it. I found it helpful while in school and my sister didn't.

@28....... So does this mean i don't have to do my essay because i find it mindless?? At least i now know if you become a teacher you'll never give homework because its too mindless for your students to complete and too mindless for you to grade.

miyaviichan 27

Well, my current salary is well above that of a teacher's, so I don't think I would become one in the first place lol. I'll apologize however, since honestly my IQ and good memory made studying almost useless for me. I understand other people need to take it slow, I just hated secondary school in general.

Vegeto30294 19

Guys, he's trying to say that Doing Homework =/= Liking Homework. For all you know, he could be doing all his homework, but hating every moment of it, and being grounded for that.

mansen 15

Problem is, is that you don't know if that bad attitude towards homework is coupled with bad grades. Not everyone is a genius who can coast through school without doing extra work. Careers require you to do some things that you may find mindless, boring, and 'beneath you', but you have to do it. And without the bad attitude. Otherwise, you may be looking at being without a job. Bragging that you didn't have to do that homework, found it so unnecessary, and look! look aty grade point average! Look at how much more money I am making, just makes you come across as insufferable. The OP is trying to teach a work ethic, instill a sense of reality; and I hope a severe attitude adjustment overall to that teen. Who takes out their little anger and pettiness on an innocent bystander, the 5 year old, to get back at the parent???

miyaviichan 27

Parents are petty. Sometimes that's the only way to fight back. All I'm saying is it's pretty stupid to ground a kid for hating something (which I find) inane.

mansen 15

the only way to fight back is to take it out on an innocent person? That is twisted.

Hm, he definitely knows which strings to pull...

NatalieOntheTram 11

If you want to get him to do his homework, you need to reward him for doing it, not punish him for not doing it. Trust me, taking away his computer won't work, as he'll just find ways around it. Like I did. Now I don't mean huge rewards or anything, but maybe give him some incentive. Reward him for every A he receives on his report card, maybe.

what does that teach him? bosses in the adult world don't give you extra rewards for doing what is expected of you, but you do get disciplined if you don't do as you're told.

#30, rewarding kids for doing stuff that they should be doing anyway is not the way to go. My parents tried doing that, and it still didn't encourage me a single bit to do my homework when I was younger; on the other hand, I would be more diligent with my schoolwork whenever I knew I was going to be punished if I neglected it. And that's a much better strategy. Why? Because people will not keep on praising you for the shit you should be doing in the first place and are much more focused on bringing harsher punishments if you don't, once you get into the real world. Not to mention that a kid that retaliates this way against their parents is a shitty kid.

Has anyone ever tried actually sitting down with their kid and trying to teach them in a polite and civil manner to understand the value of responsibility and a good work ethic? This may sound ridiculous, but I believe that parents have a responsibility to use punishment and implicitly, fear, as only a last resort. I'm not assuming that OP didn't try talking to the kid first, but most parents I know have too little trust in their kids' ability to be disciplined through respect not fear of punishment. All kids are different, when I was a kid, I would rebel with a "bad attitude" (I didnt take it out on little kids btw and personally "bad attitude" is sometimes used to refer to any minor that exercises freedom of speech even if in a civil & responsible manner) as long as possible if my parent tried to teach me through "punishment," simply because I thought it was irresponsible for them to do so. If on the other hand, they showed that they were willing to sit down and talk to me, I would respect them instantly and be willing to obey if only out of respect. I may sound like a unique example, but I believe that when kids are raised to only obey for the sake of avoiding punishment, it's almost as bad as rewarding them for things they should do. It doesn't teach them anything. As a parent, one's job is to teach their kid values and virtues, teach them to actually *care*, not teach them to obey *only* as long as there will be negative repercussions. Trust me, the average little kid will respect their parents more if they felt that they were respected when they were younger.

Agreed. If all you have is punishment, the day will come when.they refuse to accept it. What do you do when you tell your 19 year old to assume the position, and he pulls the cane from your hands and snaps it in two? Your son needs to understand right and wrong, not just fear the consequences of getting caught. All that teaches him is to hide it better.

Here's the thing, teenagers hate homework. Either way he's not doing it

RedPillSucks 31

Teenagers hate consequences. OP needs to make the consequence of not doing something worse than the thing itself.

kayteakay 26

I loved school work. It's got me away from a crap home life.

90&103: yes parents should teach kids respect, noone said they shouldn't. discipline is used when verbal fails. in this case, verbal should be skipped based on age of the son and the severity of what he did. 17? basically an adult, and he should act accordingly.

JMichael 25

Ground him from his Xbox. That'll teach him.

Naughty kids are tough to deal with..

go to bed and let him deal with the screaming kid.