By gamerlaura - 14/08/2016 03:33 - United Kingdom - Blaenau-ffestiniog

Today, I woke to the sound of my baby crying at 4 a.m. I also heard my partner snoring, knowing he was not beside me and the baby was not in her crib, I went into the nursery. There was my crying baby laying across my snoring partner's chest. Guess he fell asleep during feeding time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 464
You deserved it 1 833

gamerlaura tells us more.

Actually the reason he was sleeping was he was drunk. Plus he offered to feed her when she first woke up as he was already up and told me to go back to sleep. So that's what I get when my boyfriend wants to take the first night feed he has ever done in the 17 weeks since she was born. FML

Top comments

Personally, just because I have an alcoholic father (not saying your bf is one), I don't think he should have fed the baby at that time because he was drunk. This is for many reasons, such as this one, the baby could have gotten in trouble being unsupervised cause he passed out. Being drunk you're a little unstable too, best not to handle a baby at this time. There's just too much of a possibility of accidentally falling and hurting them. My dad slipped and fell down the stairs with me once because of the drinking, luckily he landed on his butt, so I was pretty protected and only got a hairline fracture on my leg, but it could have been much worse. It's been 17 weeks and he hasn't cared for his own child at night once though, time to tell him he needs to help in this way too, at least sometimes, when he isn't drinking and can actually get the job done.

Manna182 10

You have to give him credit for doing a night feed. He was obviously exhausted.

Comments

pinkuser626 17

Taking care of his baby during the day but not ever at night makes him a daycare teacher. He is pulling weight and helping but it's definitely not equal

countryb_cth 38

Her profile says she's a full time mom so sounds like she does it all. At night and day.

As opposed to him working 12 hours a day then looking after the baby for the other 12 right? Men need sleep too

So he should work all day to pay the bills then come home and not sleep while taking care of the baby then be able to go to work the next morning.

That's so scary. I'm sorry, OP. It is so not safe for a drunk adult to fall asleep with a baby. I get that babies are tiring...I have one! But I hope he doesn't do that again.

it all depends on the situation maybe the guy needs his sleep to be rested for his job maybe he works super early or late

I was gonna ask why this was an FML, my ex didnt do too much with my daughter when she was little, but he was also working and going to school when she was born. After I saw the follow up, Im sorry but your partner shouldnt have been with the baby while he was drunk. I know you were tired, I know you should have been able to trust him, but being drunk with an infant could have been a disaster. Like other have said, you need to have a talk with your babys dad. Is there someone who can help, once in a while like a parent/sibling?

There are way to many assumptions here. Alcohol is a very touchy subject for me because my dad is (and has been my whole life) an alcoholic. I'll admit my first thought after reading the FML and the follow up was "YDI. How dare you allow a drunkard near a baby?!?!" But one of the commenters brought up a good point I'd never thought of: OP did you know your boyfriend was drunk? Everyone is bashing on the OP saying she's a bad mother for allowing this to happen but until that question is answered there is really no way to pass any real judgement.

blackrose1996 11

It happens and as long as he tried and the baby was safe it's fine

How the **** is this an fml? Be appreciative that you have a caring partner.

You must be really tired to agree to let him take care of your child while he was drunk...

So, why is your life f*ucked now? For having a baby? I don't get it

bobsanction 18