By toothache - 14/05/2013 12:03 - United States - Morton Grove

Today, I went to the dentist to get a tooth filled. The nurse just finished taking my info when the doctor came in and started drilling. Through my chorus of screams he realized he'd forgotten to numb me. His only response was, "Guess I forgot to numb ya, huh?" while giggling. FML
I agree, your life sucks 61 376
You deserved it 4 392

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

You should have kicked him in the crotch to see if he had numb nuts, or just was one.

Some people just shouldn't be in a medical field. Loons.

Comments

zombieslayer83 19

YDI! I would've pushed him away and told him.

Yes, because pushing the guy with a drill in your mouth is a good idea...

I'm sorry, there's no way in hell OP deserves this. I'm pretty sure OP's screams got the dentist's attention just fine.

LuckBeNimble 19

21: nobody deserves that pain, BUT unless it was OPs first time at the dentist (which it could have, I don't know) shouldn't it have occurred to them to say "wait, I haven't been numbed yet!" or something like that? I know I wouldn't let someone put a drill in my mouth without being anesthetized first, but I've been to the dentist before so I am at least somewhat familiar with the procedure. as a patient, it's your duty to ask questions about what's being done to you. I stand by saying they deserved it (even though that must've been unimaginably painful).

Really? I know people have different pain threshold, but drilling without anesthesia is not "unimaginable" painful. Normal drilling is uncomfortable, deep cavities can hurt a little. Still i prefer to do it without any sort of numbing, the numb feeling that last forever and drooling simply aint worth it for such little pain. When pulling it's a different story though...

KyraJFoxx 14

#103 , I agree. The last time I went to the dentist for a filling they ended up giving me 7 or 8 needles (4 big ones and 3 or four 'tiny ones' he said) for numbing and even after all that I could still kind of feel it. I didn't tell him though because I didn't want another needle. (I was shocked because normally the one does the trick for me. idk what was up with my mouth that day.) Eventually I just wanted to pass out from the pain of all the needles so in the end I wish I just took the fillings without all the numbing

LuckBeNimble 19

103: well, I'd imagine it can be painful for some people, particularly those with sensitive teeth, right? I'm just saying that even though I believe the dentist is somewhat at fault for being unmindful of the work, OP should take responsibility for not speaking up or asking questions before the dentist started.

zombieslayer83 19

77, my point exactly! Except, even if it was the first time, no way in hell would I let someone drill in my mouth without numbing. To me, thats just common sense! Maybe I just go to an experienced dentist? I've only had to have 2 shots at most to become completely numb.

yes but it's the dentist's job to numb it first, and it's not the patients job to ask him to numb, the dentist is supposed to numb it unless asked not to

zombieslayer83 19

131, It's not the patients job to prevent someone from inflicting pain on them? Who's job is it? OP needs to learn to speak up. I still stand by my YDI vote.

why didn't you tell them they had forgot it when you saw they were ready to start with their tools?

RedPillSucks 31

I believe the screaming in pain was OPs attempt to tell the dentist.

dreamsneverfall 8

Most likely, OP wasn't paying much attention, and it was their first time there. If you don't pay attention, or you're nervous, tools start to sound the same. OP most likely shut their eyes and did not realize it was the drill, or started saying "No," which many dentists tend to ignore, as they deal with nervous patients on any given day.

Yikes. Reminds me of the time one of my friends went to Mexico and got a wisdom tooth extraction without anything for pain... Don't go to shadey parts of mexico for dental work...

rg350dx 29

I'm pretty sure the only reason anyone goes to shady parts of Mexico is for drugs. Which is kind of ironic in this case.

kennaem1 11

I wouldn't go to shadey parts of Mexico for anything if I could avoid it! O.o

I thought this was a friend of mine then, he also went to the dentist today and was absoloutely dreading it

perdix 29

#16, the "Geuss" is the one that really sticks in my craw. It looks like it should rhyme with Dr. Seuss.

How did all those grammatical mistakes go uncorrected?

Kick him in the nuts. While giggling, of course.

rg350dx 29

So it's settled. Lets create a petition to change Goose's spelling to Geuss, purely to **** with everyone's autocorrect.