By Anonymous - 07/07/2014 01:27 - United States - Gournay-sur-marne

Today, I went to see the school counselor to schedule my classes for school. She asked me if I knew how to speak English. My parents are Chinese and I don't even know how to speak Chinese. I've lived in America my whole life. Plus, I even spoke to her in English to ask about classes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 000
You deserved it 3 883

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

Do you have an accent? I was friends with someone from Korea who moved here when he was very young but still had a strong accent from listening to his parents. He spoke English fine, but most people wouldn't assume he grew up in an English speaking country.

days_lo 3

Maybe she thought you learned how to ask about your classes in English just for this special occasion.

Mooglefox 23

That is when you start hitting the guy with a bat to knock some sense into him.

And that's when I say May the ignorant stay stupid

imnotanybody 2

Shame on you! You can't even speak your own language. How did you manage to grow up in your household without picking up at least a little bit of Chinese?

Ever think that maybe his parents seldom speak it? Some parents actively avoid teaching their native language to their children in an effort to make them integrate more easily. Or maybe they just prefer to speak English at home. Or maybe they just felt it was too much trouble to teach OP or send him to Chinese classes. Etc etc.

the OP's "own language" is english. not chinese.

I have to agree with you #108, I am bilingual because my parents speak their native language to one another at home as I'm sure OP's parent's do too...native languages are a part of who people are and I can't believe that any parent would consider it too much effort to teach their children the language that is part of their heritage. As far as integration goes (#119's comment) learning another language won't stop you integrating with the people/culture/country you are being brought up in.

That's the problem with school counselors: they never actually LISTEN to the problem. They just ask, "who was involved?" and then bring everyone in to talk about it. Always turns into a screaming match at my school.

That was my middle school guidance counselor.

Welp, I learned a couple new things: Everyone's forgotten what racism means And people like that still exist Didn't really learn that last one. I was just forced to remember it. I'd tell you to tell her off if it was even worth it, but I somehow don't think so. You can tell your parents if it bothers you so much and see what they say. Leave ignorant people like that in their ignorance, they aren't going to change.