By MyUsernameisEpic - 28/01/2015 01:32 - United States - Winter Park

Today, I was talking to a girl. It was going pretty well until she said, "LOL." What's so bad about that? We weren't texting. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 195
You deserved it 5 176

MyUsernameisEpic tells us more.

Okay, so this is my FML. The girl is 15, and we have classes together in school. I didn't really mind that she said it, but it was funny. That's why I decided to share it on here, and it actually got posted! Anyway, back to the story. We were talking in class about something and I made a joke and she started giggling and then, she said, "LOL!" Like, "el-oh-el". Also, I should mention that I wasn't flirting with her or anything. I'm not pursuing a relationship with her, but if I was, I wouldn't completely freak out and change my mind because she said lol. That'd make me a judgmental prick. That'd be pretty screwed up of me. Lastly, I'd like to say that I am friends with her, and just because she said lol, that doesn't mean I think she's stupid or anything.

Top comments

Comments

It's not that bad... Sometimes it just slips out!

There's a woman I work with who says "Oh em gee" constantly. It makes me want to slap the shit out of her. Don't do that, people. We're lazy enough these days as it is. Don't make your language as lazy as you are.

Actually english is one of the most complicated languages you can learn adding new shortend forms will just make it harder.

Why in the world would she do that ? "Oh em gee" isn't even shorter than directly saying oh my god/gosh or whatever you use... So i really don't see the point there.

Actually Chinese is, English is one of the easiest languages to learn lol

Anyone else feels like we're getting more ignorant with every generation? When I look at today's 6-12 years old kids I'm scared. I remember my childhood, I know we weren't that dumb. Of course I'm not talking about everyone! There are smart well-educated kids in every generation, but when you look at the whole population you can clearly see a massive increase of ignorance. Please bear in mind that I'm not calling them unintelligent, they have a much intellectual potential as every other generation. They are just incredible ignorant. It's not even surprising! There isn't a single TV channel offering quality education! All of them are more interested by the quick money brought by controversial movies than educating anyone. Parent don't check what their kids do online, most of them watch dumb youtube videos all day long...

18-- I'm not sure what your criterion is for measuring stupidity, but I've taught high school for 15 years and this notion that the younger generation is more stupid than past generations is absurd. All kids (especially ages 6-12) ARE "stupid". They're children. Their brains are still forming. That's why we, as a society, decided to make school compulsory-- to educate them. I promise you that you were also "stupid" at that age, as was I. Does stupidity exist? Yes. Is there more of it in one generation than another? No. Don't worry-- the kids are alright.

#47. It is because of "educators" like you that I fear for today's youth. #18 did not call them stupid. The word used was 'ignorant'. The point was clearly made that they have the intelligence and potential, but they seem to be oblivious to most of the world that isn't on a screen.

#47, you sound like an awesome teacher. It makes me happy knowing people like you are teaching our kids. C:

53 - 47 clearly put the word 'stupid' in quotes. I really doubt they would use that word around pupils or professionally, they're just trying to communicate quickly with people online....it's really not the terrible. And their main point is pretty true. You'd be surprised how much kids still enjoy playing outside and stuff, even if there are screens around the room.

Isn't it funny that every generation thinks the newer generation is somehow inferior to theirs? (Hint: No, it's just irritating.)

I know, 53, "educators" like me, who believe in their students and consistently see all of their students as intelligent, talented, and capable individuals, rather than lumps of "potential" and "ignorance" are truly frightening. "Educators", like me, who believe that "intelligence" is not a one-size-fits-all word, and work hard to help children achieve their goals, and feel proud about achieving those goals, and have a clear understanding of child development should not be in a classroom. PS-- though they do have slightly different connotations, ignorant, dumb, and stupid are synonyms. If I used the wrong one, my apologies. I would never use any of those words to describe my students.

Actually, 84 - ignorant is NOT synonymous with dumb and stupid. Ignorant is a Latin word (from the verb ignorare) which means "to be unknowing". It in no way implies a lack of ability to comprehend (stupid/dumb). Instead, it means the subject has no knowledge. Much like you, apparently. The majority may take it for a synonym stupid or dumb, but that is not correct, and as a teacher, you should know the proper meaning and correct those around you, not contribute to/join in the ignorance.

johnbutsy 6

Be positive... She clearly finds you funny

Oh my it's almost as if the evolution of English is slowly happening!

JohnTheDonJuan 11

Evolution? Wouldn't that suggest progress? I wouldn't consider using text abbreviations as actual words to be progress...

At one point bump was not a word. Shakespeare actually invented it. People probably thought it wasn't progress when people started using that either. Progress is in the eye of the beholder and it seems your eyes are too focused on the past.

Also abbreviations aren't new. See can't, aren't and it's.

luggage is also a word that Shakespeare created. :) http://shakespeare-online.com/biography/wordsinvented.html

squideth 18

Thank god some people here aren't pretentious English elitists and actually understands that English is a constantly evolving language.

You can all hate me then because I say lol and roflol out loud. Who would have thought that language changes?

Language is constantly changing and evolving, and there is nothing wrong with that, but if you are actually Laughing Out Loud, well then you wouldn't have to say you are, would you?

I teach high school and often use 'internet speak' with my students-- mainly as a joke (because 'old' people using 'young' people talk is apparently really funny). Sometimes it'll come out when I'm talking to my friends. My degrees are in linguistics and rhetoric. I love the fluidity of language and I love slang and how it changes language. Of course, if the Internet speak slipped out while I was talking to my principal or school board, I would feel pretty ridiculous.

42 - Yeah but lol has kind of evolved too...people rarely use it when they're actually laughing, in real life or online. It's used more as punctuation.