By solarecliptic - 08/12/2009 15:30 - United States

Today, I was fired because I skipped a week of work without calling nor telling anyone. His secretary forgot to tell him about my scheduled days off for anticipation for my daughter's birth. My boss had already hired someone else so he gave me his secretary's job. Wrong time for a pay decrease. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 325
You deserved it 2 695

solarecliptic tells us more.

solarecliptic 0

We are to notify the secretary of extended leave of absence - not the boss. The day or two after I made this post, the Boss gave me my old job back. Thankfully the new guy hadn't actually started working yet - so he was apologized to and did not start working. My boss hasn't filled his secretary position and I don't think he intends to. The company gave me a 10k/yr raise due to the circumstances.

Top comments

I say get a lawyer and sue. That's ridiculous. The least he could do, if he was gonna give you his secretary's job, is paying you the same he did before.

Comments

This time, if I'm not mistaken, you are protected under the Family Leave Act. You can sue.

Wow, male secretary. Not what I expect of my future.

You're taking off for a week and you don't check in with your boss? Not even to say "everything's handled"? We used to call those "eye-dee-ten-tee" errors. ID10T.

My boss is not my babysitter. If I had made notice that I would be taking days off, I wouldn't check back in. I'd check back in the day I'm scheduled to come back to work.

Well at least your boss tried to make it right. Glad the secretary got sacked.

sportsnut 0

wow, you are so distant from your boss that you can't even tell him about the birth of your child. YDI for being such a douche bag at work

Aren't there laws that protect people from this kind of thing?

FMLA google it. you can sue and have your old job and pay back.