By Anonymous - 08/10/2012 05:31 - United States - Pleasanton

Today, I was cooking something I knew would make a lot of smoke, so I asked my teenage daughter to tape a bag over the smoke detector. She said she did, so I cooked; the alarm went off and firemen came. She hadn't taped over the smoke detector, she'd taped it over the doorbell. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 424
You deserved it 4 841

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well someone didn't get any visits from Sparky the Fire Safety Dog as a child.

Seriously generation bashing doesn't even cover this. How retarded do you have to be to put a bag over the door bell instead of a smoke detector? Hint smoke detector is on the ceiling.

Comments

Who is the bigger idiot here: A) The daughter who can't tell the difference between two little white boxes or B) the idiot mother who told her to disable the ******* smoke detector which would not have been able to save their lives if there had actually been a fire? Oops, I gave it away.

bybib 20

I would have done the same to be honest. Just take it off after and don't get distracted. Oh and open windows.

The_F3rris 11

And to tape a bag on it? Why not just turn it off? I thought that was weird. Seems like a hassle.

McAninch35 9

If I never turned mine off, the fire department would show up at my place probably twice a week. Possibly they'd be missing out on saving people in real danger because I didn't turn off my detector to cook breakfast.

PhishloverA 14

or 3). maybe you're the bigger idiot for not realizing putting a bag over the smoke detector isn't actually disabling it

PhishloverA - Except that it IS disabling it, you imbecile. Why the hell else would you put a bag over it? To spruce it up and make it look fancy? NO, you do it so that it won't go off. Hence the DISABLING part. Do you get it now, or do I have to spell it out for you?

sounds like you raised a child who doesn't know the difference..a fail on your part thus a you deserve that one vote

enormouselephant 15

That's one way to make the firemen cum.

Sometimes I wonder how society has gotten so far down the shitter that doorbells are now being mistaken as smoke detectors.

breatheitslow 1
jarockstar27 10

Im blonde and this FML is just to stupid to even call it a blonde thing....

skulltorn 8
perdix 29

Maybe it was her subtle way of saying, "Mommy, I don't want a meth lab in our house!"

If you're making meth and have enough smoke to set off a fire alarm, you need to leave the premesis immediately. Not that I've ever tried making meth or anything.....

Smoking meth lab = everything already blew up. The only way you're leaving is after the fire dept scrapes you off the walls lol.

you raised her! and you really shouldnt cover smoke detectors. open window, use the fan on top of the stove, etc.

This maybe an ignorant question, but who called the firemen? Round here you have to actually call them, they don't just come every time a smoke detector goes off. Just curious.

jmayes414 5

Certain companies that offer smoke detectors, like ADT have options to immediately call their hotline or the local 911 emergency. They'll have it hooked up with a burglar alarm most often or something similar.

are you sure? My security system just has a 'fire' button we can push to notify them, but it doesn't do anything automatically.

I wondered this too. I know some are automatic but I figured that was just schools, offices, etc because it's kind of stupid for a standard residential house. As we can see, it'll lead to wasting firemen's time and possibly people permanently disabling them by attaching bags or whatever because they don't want emergency services all the time...

I wondered the same. My security company would at least call first! If there was no answer they'd send someone automatically...but not as soon as the alarm went off. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for the fire fighters to deal with false alarms all the time...

They have them in homes so if you're not there, and your house catches on fire, the fire department will still show up. But, I think they are supposed to call first so it's kind of her fault if she ignored their call.

RedPillSucks 31

Where I used to live, each apartment had a blinking light over the front door when the smoke detector or fire alarm was triggered.