By ironorr - 26/01/2010 00:41 - United States

Today, I've been unemployed for a year. For the last six months I had been trying for a good paying job at a great company, who kept saying they would hire me when the economy improves. Three weeks ago I gave up and moved 2 hours away. Guess who just called to finally offer me a job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 128
You deserved it 3 702

ironorr tells us more.

I moved because my lease was ending, and my landlord decided to jack up my rent if I decided to renew. I could no longer afford the rent, so I moved back to the area where I grew up since rent is way cheaper being so far from a city. Also, I have a potential job opportunity in the spring in this area. There were many factors leading me to make the decision to move, and all signs were pointing to the aforementioned company never actually giving me a job. But you're right. I'm a horrible person, so I totally deserve to have unfortunate things happen to me.

Top comments

Move back? Or just drive the two hours to buy the gas.

Comments

kirakira333 0

so? take the job and move back! congrats :D

nonnymouse 0

Do the commute for now!!!! When you are settled in your new job the try to move closer to the job. I've been driving to work 3-4 hrs a day for over 30 years. You have to go where the $$$$ is!!!!

That sucks that it happened after you moved, but at least they offered it. You should take it, and commute until you can move back. I was in a semi-similar situation with my job. I had started as an intern, but ended up doing full-time engineer work. They said I could stay on as an intern until I graduated, at which point they'd hire me as a full-time senior engineer. Unfortunately, after being there for 2.5 years, the company recently decided they no longer wanted to have interns, and there were no full-time positions on my team, so I'm out of a job for now (and living in an apartment I can no longer afford). My sister and her boyfriend used to each have a 1.5 hour commute in opposite directions. It sucks having to spend so much time commuting, but if you like the job, it's worth it.

Two hours is nothing. Quit being a puss, suck it up, and take the job. Or you can be a failure and live off welfare the rest of your life, your call.

Dude I'd take the job. Yeah it would be hard commuting back and forth in the mean time, but in the end it would be worth it.

That last comment was meant to go elsewhere. Anyway, I think I should clarify that "good paying job" may mean a heck of a lot less than you think. After being unemployed for a year, I have pretty low standards. It doesn't pay well enough to be able to afford $400 or more worth of gas each month. Besides, as I said in a previous post, I have to live within 30 minutes of the facility to be on call.

Why would you move if you didn't have a job in the new city? Sorry, but YDI.

allihall127 0

I'm gonna against the crowd here and actually say YDI... If you know that there is still a possibility for getting a job where you are now... if you are in a bad financial situation... The last thing you should do is move, it's not the right time.

I moved because my lease was ending, and my landlord decided to jack up my rent if I decided to renew. I could no longer afford the rent, so I moved back to the area where I grew up since rent is way cheaper being so far from a city. Also, I have a potential job opportunity in the spring in this area. There were many factors leading me to make the decision to move, and all signs were pointing to the aforementioned company never actually giving me a job. But you're right. I'm a horrible person, so I totally deserve to have unfortunate things happen to me.

KeriRox407 0

Glad to hear you've an job opportunity this Spring. Hope it goes well :) And yesh, FYL. But things seem to be looking up for you. ~K

don't say that. things are looking up already righttt?:)