By Gtca - 01/11/2013 08:56 - United States - Mckinney

Today, I took my two and a half year-old son Trick or Treating for the first time in our new neighborhood. At the very first house, a girl told us we were too early and slammed the door in our face. My son cried. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 257
You deserved it 4 460

Gtca tells us more.

OP here! A lot of these comments are hilarious! Thanks for that and for those that showed us some support and sympathy. We started trick or treating at 5:15. Apparently trick or treating kicks up in our neighborhood around 6/6:30. Now I know. When I went trick or treating when I was younger, everyone started around 4 and people were prepared. Besides, how hard is it put some candy in a bowl? Also, some people commented about why a 2.5 year old needs candy, he doesn't, but we went for the experience. Luckily, we rebounded and had a fun Halloween after that incident.

Top comments

Redoxx_fml 22

Egg her house and or sing Wrecking Ball

Comments

Redoxx_fml 22

Guess she's being a bitch for Halloween

Reminds me of that woman with the anti-candy letters..

Oh yeah, I saw that. That person is an asshole. The letter just destroys the kid's confidence over something they have little or no control over, just so someone stuck up on their high horse can say "I'm a better parent!". I mean, child obesity is a problem but giving the child a letter like that is just being a prick about it. If you've a problem with it, go to the parents directly. None of this passive aggressive letters bullshit.

#44 I agree except for the "go to the parents directly"? Nah! Not unless you enjoy setting yourself up to be cursed out and told to mind your own ******* business. :P

SuperMew 22

I don't know why people would think it is appropriate to comment on a stranger's child. At least they are getting out and walking, which will help the kid more in the long run than someone being mean and traumatizing them. Some kids, like my little cousin, were born obese because of medical conditions. She is not allowed to have a lot of candy during the year and we tend to split the candy between everyone in the family anyways, so she is not eating thousands of calories of candy anyways.

skyeyez9 24

The anti candy letter woman was feigning concern as an excuse to be a ****. It was a self righteous, insensitive and passive aggressive letter.

SuperMew 22

If you don't want to help some kid become "fatter" or whatever the **** of a woman thought, then get little toys. We handed out whistles one year, and rubber throwing stars the one before. My mom didn't always like buying candy because it "rots teeth." Now that I live on my own, we hand out kingsized candybars, because its once a year.

58 - Oh I know but the way I see it, either they go to the parents directly or they sit down and shut the **** up. You don't involve the child.

cryssycakesx3 22

I agree it's a problem but it's not someone else's decision to make. MYOB lady.

what a jerk! poor sweety pie, little dreams crushed

If she comes to your door tell her it's too late and slam the door in her face

Your better off being too early Than too late.

Except apparently not in this neighbourhood...

perdix 29

Bobo wasn't ready. She was still slipping on her floppy shoes and sharpening her meat cleaver.

Someone was trick or treating at my house at 3:30pm. I was unprepared but I would never ever slam the door in someone's face.

We had someone come to out house at 4:00, which I can understand you want to get out there but you have to be considerate for others. I was always taught to leave around 6-6:30 so that the other families could have dinner and get their own kids in their costume. I think depending on the time it's incredibly rude to come really early, but then as others have said you just don't answer the door if you think its too early.

In my town trick or treat hours begin at four and end at seven so leaving at 6- 6:30 would allow you almost no trick or treat time. There is only one town in the area with a decent length trick-or-treat time but they run from 2 till 8 so most kids are still in school when they start.

@40 If we are stating that it's ok for a two year old to start at 4:00 I wonder why any child that young needs that much candy. @51 I live in toronto so I've never heard of a designated time you have to start but seeing that most schools end at 3:15, you don't think that it's nearly impossible for most parents to get their kids from school/ daycare, feed them and dress them within 45 mins if they wanted to start at 4:00??

We have trick or treating at the mall here for younger children. From 4-5. My 19 month old started trick or treating at 6pm last night (his bed time is at 7) I have no problem with children coming earlier, it's just that I got off work at 315 so I was unprepared.

SuperMew 22

I have a friend with a 2 year old. She got really upset because people kept ignoring the knocking at like 3pm. I understand wanting to take your kid out for their 1st Halloween, but the world does not always work that way. Expecting people to be ready and waiting at 3pm for your kid in a town where its normal for kids to be trick-or-treating later is stupid on the part of parents. I understand its cute, you're spending time with your toddler, but if they cannot be out past 6pm, then maybe reconsider or go to an event tailored towards younger children.

Razzed 4

If their child is too young to stay up until 7 at night on Halloween, their child is too young to go trick-or treating around the neighbourhood. Also, I don't know any parent who takes their 2-1/2 year old child trick-or-treating for more than an hour, if they even go that long. How much candy do you think a toddler needs? I'm really wondering just what time it was when OP took his/her child out. Seems like the OP might have mentioned the time if they actually felt justified in thinking that it was not too early to be trick-or-treating.

We don't have set times where I live, but even the youngest kids don't usually start til around 5 or 6, which still gives you lots of time if bedtime is usually 7 or 8. Besides, who cares if they stay up a bit later one night of the year? My sisters were 2 and 4 last year, we took them out from 6-7, then they sorted their candy and fought over who got what for a while, and then bedtime was around 8:30. I don't see why anyone would need to go out any earlier than that.

I'm in Australia and had a few little kids here do trick or treating. Unfortunately,I didn't have any candy, so I gave them all $2 each to buy something. They were more excited about getting money than candy. After I gave out the last $2 I had, I rushed down to the milk bar and bought some candy. Sadly, I had no more trick or treaters that night & the candy is sitting in my cupboard now.

That's terrible, hopefully you still had a great night trick or treating after that :)

Aussieinusa 5

Halloween is a funny concept to me. We teach our kids not to take candy from strangers, except once a year, when we take them to random houses and demand candy

HammyBear13 8

i never thought about it like that....