By Mindersss - 01/10/2015 10:46 - United Kingdom

Today, I started my new job. Not even 2 hours in did some old man ask me where I live, what's my number, and if I was interested in being with him and his friends. This guy is at least over 50 and works with me. I left my old job because some old men kept asking the same things. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 560
You deserved it 2 213

Mindersss tells us more.

Hey! wow this was actually posted. I work in an apprentice, I do business and admin. I am only 19 years old. I have taken it up with my office manager and HR. These guys are just creeps and have been told to stay away from me. For those who say "well you must be doing something" I am not. I dress in jeans and a top, nothing is on show, and even if it was, it does not give them the right to ask where I live and that. I have never given out where I live. I actually have a boyfriend, and if they ask me out, I do tell them, but even if I was single it is none of their business. Thank you to everyone who did back me up, and to those who are saying I must be doing something, please just leave, I do not have time for your comments. I am not to blame here, the guy was, he is married, (could tell from the ring on his finger) and if he has kids, he should be so ashamed! I am only 19!

Top comments

Definitely talk to a higher up or HR. That's really inappropriate. Set firm 'no' boundaries now, and if it continues file for harassment to your boss, don't take any of that. Don't lose your job because of someone else ruining it.

The constant for OP was her being a female, that's usually all it takes.

Comments

You have 2 choices, as I see it, either tell him you're a lesbian or that you love to bite the penises off of old bastards like him!

Enzymatic 14

You must be pretty damn gorgeous

xcllla_ 27

Firmly tell him to **** off.

Hey! wow this was actually posted. I work in an apprentice, I do business and admin. I am only 19 years old. I have taken it up with my office manager and HR. These guys are just creeps and have been told to stay away from me. For those who say "well you must be doing something" I am not. I dress in jeans and a top, nothing is on show, and even if it was, it does not give them the right to ask where I live and that. I have never given out where I live. I actually have a boyfriend, and if they ask me out, I do tell them, but even if I was single it is none of their business. Thank you to everyone who did back me up, and to those who are saying I must be doing something, please just leave, I do not have time for your comments. I am not to blame here, the guy was, he is married, (could tell from the ring on his finger) and if he has kids, he should be so ashamed! I am only 19!

Also, I do want to point out, I get that men are harassed to, I have known a few guys who are made to feel uncomfortable. I do want all this harassment to stop, no one should ever have to deal with it. I have not forgotten that women can be like this. But for this post, I am talking about the men I happen to work with, they are harassing me. They are making me uncomfortable, that I had to leave an apprenticeship. Just because I mention the men in this post, it does not mean I have forgotten the men who actually get harassed by women, or who are made to feel uncomfortable by unwanted advances. Please remember that.

danceinconverse 25

I'm so sorry you have to defend yourself so thoroughly because people make such stupid assumptions from a very condensed version of events, but you handled it so well. I wish I could explain myself like that!

Glad too hear your work is handling it in the right way.

I can understand your frustration, but you aren't doing yourself any favors by telling those that didn't see it your way to screw off. You have been dealing with this, from the sounds of things, a decent amount of time, so maybe there is another way to get the result you are looking for. I had a friend who was sweet as can be, but a lot of guys she talked to just ended up hitting on her, and the guys were mainly at fault. But her personality was so nice it came across as flirty. I don't have the slightest idea as to what makes you such a target for harassment, but taking a look at the situation from someone else's point of view might help you a ton, as you may see something that you could do to simply help yourself.

I may be a target because I'm the youngest there, but my office manager and someone from HR have sorted it

delfino1604 24

i feel you. i had to leave the gym early because a female was following me around and eventually hopped into the sauna with me. made me uncomfortable.

Denise1988 13

When I was 19 I worked at a commissary. An old guy asked how old I was and when I told him he said "I've always wanted a 19 year old wife." He came into the store once a week and tried to convince me to break up with my fiancé, he said he would give me as many babies as I wanted and he said he'd leave his wife for me. I never encouraged it. I always politely brushed him off. Quitting that job was the best decision I've ever made.

TheEpicKitten 20

Please stop being so ******* politically correct. That is the one and only quality I like about Trump

Sorry, I was typing fast...didn't know it was a big deal

Dress like a nun lol, at least more conservative to go to work, nothingn tight, then u wear wever u want,

you're an asshole. doesn't matter what she wears if op says no leave me alone she should have her wishes respected.

God bless u Op..may b u r too sweet and very attractive. Make some thumb rules in ur life like stay away from strangers, dont trust, report every small abuse or incidents to ur managers and later to ur family too..u need protection and care and it starts from U! Take Care b a brave girl :)

Op you appreciated my concept it matters alot to me, i care a damm about who downvoted my views...good luck :)

might have been some grammatically correct arse hat that did it because of spelling. I say forget about that kind of stuff when on the internet alot of people use it for fun not just for work.

fmlstarterkit 13

Well, if you saw my other responses, it has been reported, also! sometimes, just sometimes, it is difficult to report, because the men involved, like to deny it, even though there is proof, and if you are the youngest in the work place, you are often intimated, and told it's just the normal thing guys do. so yeah.