By Mindersss - 01/10/2015 10:46 - United Kingdom

Today, I started my new job. Not even 2 hours in did some old man ask me where I live, what's my number, and if I was interested in being with him and his friends. This guy is at least over 50 and works with me. I left my old job because some old men kept asking the same things. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 560
You deserved it 2 213

Mindersss tells us more.

Hey! wow this was actually posted. I work in an apprentice, I do business and admin. I am only 19 years old. I have taken it up with my office manager and HR. These guys are just creeps and have been told to stay away from me. For those who say "well you must be doing something" I am not. I dress in jeans and a top, nothing is on show, and even if it was, it does not give them the right to ask where I live and that. I have never given out where I live. I actually have a boyfriend, and if they ask me out, I do tell them, but even if I was single it is none of their business. Thank you to everyone who did back me up, and to those who are saying I must be doing something, please just leave, I do not have time for your comments. I am not to blame here, the guy was, he is married, (could tell from the ring on his finger) and if he has kids, he should be so ashamed! I am only 19!

Top comments

Definitely talk to a higher up or HR. That's really inappropriate. Set firm 'no' boundaries now, and if it continues file for harassment to your boss, don't take any of that. Don't lose your job because of someone else ruining it.

The constant for OP was her being a female, that's usually all it takes.

Comments

addisonrose12 16

That's wrong. You shouldn't have to leave. He should stop or have to leave.

msmedieval 11

I used to get comments like that a few years ago till someone told me it's because I'm too nice & friendly. I've since learned how to perfect the "bitch face" while doing the best job I can. I talk a lot less about myself too until I get to know the person well enough to trust them. Try to set some boundaries, & don't let creeps that get away with that kind of behavior. Good luck OP!

404wan 19

this needs a follow up. Was it a creepy guy who just kept asking inappropriate questions, or just a friendly coworker making conversation and is op taking it a bit heavily? I know when i meet new people first things we usually do is exchange contact information and talk a little about our background... including where we live...

Hydiin 5

Every hint of humor here is down voted. please don't upvote this comment

Just tell him straight - no, I.m not interested, I already have a boyfriend. if that doesn't work Hey buddy please just back off - I'm here to work, and (the ultimate put down) and I prefer people my own age. . if that doesn't work Brian, I really can't have this. I don't really want to, but back off or I am going to HR He wouldn't be the first over 50 year old to misread messages and overstep the mark, and may just need a slap on the wrist. If he has a warped sense of humour he may just be doing it because you react. Don't come on too strong at first in your put downs or you will make a real enemy.

Report him to Your boss or HR if he crosses the line! He has to realize this is harassment! OP, you don't deserve this!!

Can you have this man banned if you work in a shop?

Rosebudx 32

HR, right now. You have to nip this behavior in the bud, because if you try to put on a brave face and deal with it for a while, when you do eventually break and go to HR or someone higher up than you they'll question you and decide you're just being a tease.

Hey, at least that means you must be extremely beautiful. :)

You're right.50 isn't that old but when you don't know the age of the OP at the time it's not a good thing to judge it.

there was no judgment here. It was only a statement and my opinion.