By meesh22 - 06/10/2009 04:16 - United States

Today, I received an email from my professor informing me that if I missed another class, I'd be dropped from the course. I have field experience to complete tomorrow as part of my major. I emailed her two weeks ago to let her know, and we're excused by the dean. She doesn't care. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 076
You deserved it 7 931

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I've encountered similar situations before. Your professor can't drop you from the class, or penalize your grade, for an excused absence. Speak with someone higher up, such as the Dean. Professors can't rewrite the rules.

Your professor will care when you bring it to the dean's attention that a professor is going against him/her. The professor has the right to do what they want especially if it's stated in the syllabus but if you have permission from the dean...dean trumps professor.

Comments

Sure the situation sucks but it leaves you wondering how many times you have missed class. It's your own damn fault. You shouldn't have taken it if you can't go to it. Drop the class before she drops you.

I'm sorry but if it is field experience that caused you to miss the other classes, you shouldnt have chosen a class that had a time conflict...

Well, the OP never stated the amount of absenses she's had before or after the field experience. IMO, it's safe to assume that regardless of how many classes that have been missed in said time (for whatever reasons), the OP has now reached her limit. I don't see this as an FML for the simple fact that the excuse of a dean goes higher than what her professor chooses. As far as it goes for the hassle the OP will now have to face, that's life. There will always be someone looking to make things harder for you. Sure it really sucks when these sorts of things happen, but for this case she's covered on getting dropped. A simple meeting between the professor, the dean who gave the OK to miss class, and the OP would be able to come to terms on the matter. Also for the conflicting schedules, the dean's permission could have simply been a method of resolving the conflict to begin with and allowing the OP to complete her requirements for school.

Normally I might feel sorry for you for the professor's seemingly lack of consideration, except that I have to wonder why you missed all those other classes, too.

simple fact, if she doesetn care, then she can stick that attitude up her ass, since you had permission by the dead, she will just have to deal with it.

xtremelifter 0

fight this you will win with the dean on your side

e_rico112 0

I would feel sorry for you and call the teacher evil, but you shouldn't have skipped so many classes in the first place. College isn't highschool, you paid good money to go and make something of yourself.

Karma sucks, doesn't it? :P YDI. Don't skip class if you don't want things like this to happen.

YDI for missing enough classes for having this be a problem in the first place.

mtessh 0

I don't know many professors who would even contact you to inform you of your absences. I don't know why you missed so many classes before hand, but I am in grad school and something like that would NOT fly. Missing 3+ classes? That's a lot to miss. There's a good chance you're so far behind that it may not be possible for you to catch up or for your professor to merit you an acceptable grade. Dean clearance for that one absence seems acceptable, but your professor probably isn't just an asshole/idiot and there is probably more to the story. I doubt it's so one-sided.