By PaintedDoll - 20/06/2016 03:12 - United States

Today, I received a phone call, angry at me for not calling my dad on Father's Day. When I told her I was at my dad's house, she clarified; she meant her husband of one year, not my actual father who has raised me for the past 25 years. Apparently, he feels "left out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 766
You deserved it 1 610

PaintedDoll tells us more.

Hey guys OP here. For a little back story the call was from my mother (I thought I put that in there). She has been married to her husband for about a year and they dated for about a year before that. I don't really see him except for holidays, because I've been living on my own since before they met. I didn't call him because he has his own children from a previous relationship, so I assumed he was spending time with them.

Top comments

If you don't have a relationship with your step-father, there is no need to contact him. Don't stress about it, sorry your mom is trying to guilt you!

You shouldn't have to call him OP. He's not your father, he didn't raise you for any part of your adolescent life. You're good.

Comments

I would've told the mom I don't give a damn he isn't my dad he could kiss my ass!

Why are people saying OP should have called? She has one dad, she was with him. I adore my bf's daughter but she has a brilliant mum - I would never expect to be given attention on Mothers Day - it's their day. people drive me crazy.

SteveDudleyUK 10

Remember this next Mother's Day and spend the day with your dad's wife (step mom). Remind your mom what she said about step parents being left out.

Did you call him a wahhhbulence? FFS, what a baby.

healthcarechick 9

Your mom obviously has some kind of issue. You have no obligation to even call him dad much less call and tell him happy Father's Day. He is nothing but your moms second husband; your step father if you choose to call him that!

Your definitely not obligated to call him and if you've had bad experiences, I can see why you don't call. But if not, maybe he felt a little bad because he wanted to reach out to you or vise versa. I have a step grandfather( if you can call them that) and I realised that we barely know each other, yet he has done a lot for us.

My mum has been with her husband for 12 years now I think and I've never said happy father's day to him even though we get along well, your step dad just sounds like an entitled douche

Father's Day isn't about biological fathers. It's about the people who raised you into the person you are today. If you're adopted, do you go out and find your birth father and celebrate Father's Day with him? Or do you celebrate it with the man who raised you since you where a baby?

This would be a valid comment if OP's dad raised them, or acted as a father figure at all. But he didn't.

Not applicable in this instance. The biological dad raised her, she was with him to celebrate the day. Her mother called her and complained that she was not wishing happy fathers' day to some guy her mother had married a year ago.

You spend it with the man who raised you since you were a baby - as OP did.

*you're not my real dad! Slams door...

Yep, my step-dad is butt hurt over not being treated like a father, too. If you ever feel like you have enough of a relationship to get him a card or something that is specifically for a stepfather - those exist - feel free, but don't push yourself to be fake for someone else. We don't need to pretend we have feelings that we don't. It can make things worse in the relationship. I do not blame you!