By NotTalented - 16/12/2013 03:44 - United States - Colorado Springs

Today, I played in a high school concert. Some alumni of the band were sitting in the audience and were brought to tears. Not because it was beautiful, but because they were sad to see how much the music program had declined since they left. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 654
You deserved it 4 736

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WHAT?! No, I'm sure you did great. The arts are declining and it's sad to see. Hopefully they'll bounce back!

I'd rather listen to your music than crap Justin Bieber makes

Comments

WHAT?! No, I'm sure you did great. The arts are declining and it's sad to see. Hopefully they'll bounce back!

How do you that OP did great? What if they completely sucked?

Just play along Queen Bee spare their feelings.

I'd rather listen to your music than crap Justin Bieber makes

What if they were playing their adaptation of Justin Bieber?

JMichael 25

I'd still rather listen to that than Bieber himself.

RedPillSucks 31

The Baroque version of a Justin Bieber song

I know how you feel OP. Coming from a trumpet player You should be proud your still in band and they aren't!

It's because they graduated and can't still be in that program...*facepalm*

That's because it's high school band....

DenBriZel 31

Not entirely true. My high school band was GREAT when I was in freshman and sophomore year. We had a lot of very talented members and went a long way. Then my junior year we lost some great players and gained some terrible ones with terrible attitudes that just wanted an "easy A", then we kept losing great and gaining horrible until the band now only has a handful of people that actually care about it or have any kind of talent. High school bands can be fantastic, but only as fantastic as the people willing to try. I've actually had the sorry experience of being in a deteriorating band, and it is NOT fun, especially when it was my favorite thing about high school. I literally am one of those alumni members that cry at performances.

Most people start learning music at a very young age so some of them have more than 10 years of experience when they start high school. It's more than enough to become a good player.

Rosebudx 32

Who are these "most people" you refer to? Most people from my area started in sixth grade and joined the "high school" band in eighth grade.

I started learning flute by entering the school band, and it was pretty much the same for everyone who entered the band. I saw my band deteriorate too when we changed director. The first director used to choose songs that where a little above our level, and we always managed to play them well (with some hard work). The new director prefered to choose songs that we could play within a few weeks... I hope it has gotten better since I left high school.

19- thats the same problem my school's music program is facing & it really sucks because the new people coming every year (I'm a junior) either don't care, or get intimidated by our music director (he's great but he always pushes people to do more which a lot of kids hate). I really wish schools would put more into art programs because they're as important as maths, sciences & literature tbh.

moonsalt 20

Nostalgia can be a pretty big factor in this. It's similar to remembering your hometown as more fun than the one you live in now.

I'm sure your music was wonderful! People probably just didn't like your taste in music?

Bet half of them can't play an instrument.

They used to be in the band. Hence "band alumni." I would hope they could play an instrument.

Tell them to grab a triangle and join you.

Hey...Im sure it was better than nails down a chalkboard!