By brunurb - 29/05/2012 11:40 - United States - Norwood

Today, I had to get the manager of a grocery store to explain to his employee how coupons work. The employee had refused to accept the coupons I was using, for fear that, "they will be deducted from my paycheck." FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 181
You deserved it 2 175

brunurb tells us more.

I hope he wasn't too overwhelmed... I was checking out 5 items, and had a single coupon for 50 cents off one of the items. He just looked very confused when I handed him the coupon! :)

Top comments

Someone needs to watch extreme couponing.

2ndSucks 15

The next generation looks promising.

Comments

SwaggCapone 11

i dont wanna live on this planet anymore

He'd be better off with a job as a dancing mascot.

unknown_user5566 26

The fact that some people completely lack common sense in situations like this is very, very sad. As I've said in other comments, it scares me how our educational system fails to provide fundamental to knowledge these days. I really wish the government would provide more funding to schools so that schools would have more resources to educate our future leaders adequately.

unknown_user5566 26

Oops. Fundamental knowledge*. Not sure why I added the "to" in there.

I agree! Not that other subjects aren't important but many kids will never need to know much of the advanced math, science, etc that they will learn. In the schools i've been to it's always been special needs kids who are taught things like how to write a check and other basic life skills to live on their own but the other students of the school often do not know simple things like how coupons or credit cards work.

unknown_user5566 26

78- Exactly. I work at a high school, and I try my best to teach basic knowledge skills to the students I work with. I am not a teacher (I work with 504 students) so I have the unique opportunity to converse with them in a non-authoritative way, and guide them as more of a friend; I discuss time management and other "common sense" subjects with them. I'm just hoping it helps!

Some of these basic life skills should be taught by the parent or guardian though. If a school were to try to teach everything, it'd be a 24-7 thing. When I was little and I wanted to buy something with my allowance, my mom took the time to teach me a lot of these things mentioned above. I was taught how to write checks and balance a check book by her at 15 when I got my first job. Yes, schools are under funded. But imo, parents are also not spending as much time teaching kids as they use to. Some would rather let entertainment outlets teach kids while they are the kids' friend instead of parent.

unknown_user5566 26

111- I completely agree that parents need to play a larger role in education. I talk to a lot of parents every day who are completely oblivious to what is happening with their child's schooling. Morally, however, just because I see a parent being lazy doesn't mean I won't try to impart my own personal knowledge on the student.

Rofl we sound old. Remember when both teachers and parents did their best to give the child a good start? ;) glad to hear some teachers still bust their rear to do so. :)

unknown_user5566 26

119- Haha, we do sound old. For me, sounding old is a hazard of working in education. I'm glad we have teachers to do, too. I work with a lot of teachers who will bend over backwards to help a student- it's awesome.

He works at a grocery store and has never scanned a coupon??

This kids life is gonna be hard if he doesnt know what a coupon is. More like F his life.

TheyCallMeDamien 17

I see a demotion in his future.

winnerme123 8

I'm not going to that store now.

This employee must be from a privelaged family that never had to use coupons and then was cut off and had to get a job at this grocery store. I'm sorry that there are such ignorant people in this world...

hateevryone 14