By brunurb - 29/05/2012 11:40 - United States - Norwood

Today, I had to get the manager of a grocery store to explain to his employee how coupons work. The employee had refused to accept the coupons I was using, for fear that, "they will be deducted from my paycheck." FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 181
You deserved it 2 175

brunurb tells us more.

I hope he wasn't too overwhelmed... I was checking out 5 items, and had a single coupon for 50 cents off one of the items. He just looked very confused when I handed him the coupon! :)

Top comments

Someone needs to watch extreme couponing.

2ndSucks 15

The next generation looks promising.

Comments

Were they regular coupons? Or we're they self-generated "jewpons?"

Sounds like a daddy-cut-me-off kind of kid...

jdblackman12 0

Sounds like none of you have ever worked at a grocery store. Coupons can be tricky. If the cashier accepts an invalid or wrong coupon, then they do actually have to pay for it.

I have worked at grocery stores before and I can tell you that there is no way that they can force the cashier to pay for accepting a bad coupon. It just happens sometimes due to the overwhelming amount of scammers.The stores I worked at were unionized and if the employer ever attempted that, you can bet the union would jump down their throat. However, you can get written up and, subsequently, fired if it is a reoccurring incident. Besides, most coupons are worth a few cents so it is not like the company will go bankrupt.

jdblackman12 0

You just defended my point. Good job. You said "you can get written up and, subsequently, fired...". Which pretty much means pay it or get fired.

It really depends on what they are paying you. If you are getting minimum wage they legally cannot take any deductions from your paycheck except taxes.

Just bring your business somewhere else and if his attitude continues to be like that with other customers it might drive them away which would actually affect his paycheck.

JoseIsAdork 31

I'm shaking my head at this, wow...

it seems odd that you were the first person to ever use a coupon.

I wouldn't think that someone that stupid would be able to run a cash register.