By xerrika - 03/06/2014 11:56 - Canada - Windsor

Today, I finally finished a drawing that someone had asked and said they would pay me for. I worked on it for multiple hours and was very proud of it. When it came to discussing payment, I asked what his best offer was. A pack of cigarettes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 765
You deserved it 8 941

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Please tell me you told him no, and went searching for a new buyer. Or at least keep it, you are proud of it after all!

yikes. now you have a new painting at least.

Comments

This is a mistake you only make once. Next time you discuss total price before you start and maybe accept x% up front to cover material cost and time. When you are finished the buyer can then choose to either pay the rest and get the artwork. Or not pay and not get the deposit back.

Labyrinth13 20

At least that's better than agreeing on a price and having to **** head stiff you. Always agree on a price before hand and get half up front. Doesn't matter if it's a friend or not. Learned that the hard way.

graphicstyle7 17

I'm a freelance artist. Repeat after me, I WILL NEVER DO WORK UNLESS I HAVE A CONTRACT FIRST AND BOTH PARTIES HAVE SIGNED IT. I learned that the hard way too. Don't feel bad, there are many stupid people in the world, looks like you got duped by one of them... they all think working on art is "fun" so pay is just not required. Tell him to cram it and keep the art.

Always ask the price first or at least agree on a minimum price

valentinov 15

Before taking on a project, before actually beginning to work, you should discuss payment and expectations. Pick up a book about sales, negotiation and closing contracts. It's your own fault that you have poor sales skills. Don't worry, no one is born knowledgeable.

Maybe you should have asked him to offer his payment before you did the painting dumbass