By blemarooney - 01/05/2015 23:34 - Ireland - Dublin

Today, I failed a major exam. It wasn't because I didn't prepare for it, though. I failed because somebody sneezed during it and I said "bless you." Apparently, that's classed as cheating. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 158
You deserved it 3 668

blemarooney tells us more.

Hi OP here. Thanks for all the supportive comments. I got my mum to go in and complain to my school but they kept insisting that 'rules are rules.' So maybe bless you secretly means the answer is C but I will certainly never bless anybody when they sneeze in the middle of an exam again.

Top comments

Next time your prof sneezes condemn him to Hell. "May your soul belong to Satan, you unholy demon-spawn. "

Everyone knows that bless you means the answer is C!

Comments

Oh OP, I feel awful for you... It COULD be considered cheating, but obviously you weren't....

Hi OP here. Thanks for all the supportive comments. I got my mum to go in and complain to my school but they kept insisting that 'rules are rules.' So maybe bless you secretly means the answer is C but I will certainly never bless anybody when they sneeze in the middle of an exam again.

danimal_crackerz 26

Just... Just.......... FYL...... I have no words. Hope it wasn't your junior year or college! PS: "bless you" means B, silly op

I'm sorry but that's absolute bullshit, your school is ran by assholes

If this was a major test that they won't let you retake go to the school board to appeal that decision. If the board says no as well thank thethem for their time, say good day/good evening to them, aand let them know you are going to write a letter to your local paper warning other students and parents to be careful of extending courtesy to their fellow classmates. When I was in high school quite a few years ago had something similar happen. Before i cohld walk out of the room the school board changed their mind. Good luck OP

YDI for bringing your mum on the field. You do know that she's not supposes to help you through your whole life, right?

#68 it's not a case of the OPs mother helping them their whole life, often schools will listen more effectively to someone they deem an adult/someone not in school rather than the pupil themselves.

Ok good. Some people aren't total idiots here.

#68 Are you stupid? It was major exam that you failed of course you would get any help possible for you to be able to re take the test

there is a time and place to "bless" people. Usually Sundays at Church. I never bless people when they sneeze. It's like bowing down and praising the sun for coming up in the morning. Means nothing to anyone and a silly superstition. Now you know what kind of trouble you'd get for speaking during an exam where you literally were told not to talk.

MzZombicidal 36

A lot of people do it to be polite, #76. Lighten up.

arnt you an asshole. Parents are parents their entire life and your entire life, though they cant help you every aspect of your life all the time you can still turn to them for help. plus Op seems underage so yeah asshole, they can turn to their parents for help

#76 actually, people say "bless you" when someone sneezes due to the fact that your heart stops for a brief moment when you sneeze. it may be a superstition but it is there for a reason. has nothing much to do with shoving religion down someone's throat. lighten up. I'm guessing your manners are terrible.

obviously he is still in school, so it's that part of op's life where parents handle your shit cause you're underaged. idiot.

I'm not Christian but I say 'bless you'. I know atheists that do. It might have started as superstition/religious but now it's just common courtesy. I suppose 'excuse me' is 'bowing down' as well? Geez

I don't say it, because I don't see a point. No one says anything when you cough, so why is sneezing so special? I also have good manners, I just don't do that. Does that make me a bad person?

I don't know how you were raised, but you really need to take your head out of your ass

You're from The UK, as am I. And frankly you're a ******* idiot if you don't know not to talk in exams. For all of you talking about going to the school board, in the UL qualifications are governed and set by outside bodies, and you only have the opportunity to sit each paper once a year. There is literally no option to resit it. Frankly OP is lucky he didn't get those around him excluded as well.

Appeal. Rules are usually "no talking during exams" Next time someone sneezes or farts or pukes, remain silent and continue your exam.

Saying that is pointless. I've never known anyone to die from sneezing. Plus, saying something like "bless you" won't actually help someone to get through their day. It's ridiculous to think that saying "bless you" will actually help.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

It's something people say to be polite. I had no idea that so many people were, for some reason, against saying "bless you" until I read the comments here. I'm surprised, though maybe I shouldn't be.

That's stupid how the school didn't do anything.

Tell it to the media? Maybe the public blacklash will cause the school to reconsider.

whoever thinks that is cheating is a massive skid mark on Society's underwear. That's ****** up, OP. FYL