By EliTheAdorable - 28/07/2014 05:50 - United States - Grand Prairie

Today, I dyed a friend's hair dark brown. She assured me I didn't need gloves as the dye would wash off. It didn't. My shift as a server is in an hour and it looks like I've been working in a tire shop my whole life. Goodbye tips, hello angry customers not wanting me anywhere near their food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 302
You deserved it 22 961

EliTheAdorable tells us more.

EliTheAdorable 12

All of you who gave me things to say to customers, they were hilarious! Also, I'd like to explain a little bit. The reason she didn't have any gloves for me to wear is because the hair dye she bought didn't come in a box. It was two metal tubes of the stuff in a bag, that was it! I knew better but let her talk me into it anyway. It's definitely my fault, I take full responsibility because I've dyed hair before (mine, mainly) and I know what it can do and if she had told me about it any sooner, I would have brought my own gloves. Oh well, just another funny story to tell. As for work, I went up to the restaurant (I don't live more than 2 miles away) showed my manager my hands and explained the situation. He laughed about and was understanding. Luckily, someone was able to cover my shift, I just needed to clean my hands ASAP! Thank you for all of the suggestions on how to get it off! They're returning to their normal shade of porcelain white (which makes it even more obvious) but I'm definitely going to speed up the process! Sorry for the long comment!

Top comments

But why wouldn't you wear gloves anyhow? Everybody knows those chemicals are pretty strong, and yes, stain whatever they touch

Serve them food, look them straight in the eye and calmly say, "I have the rot!"

Comments

always read the directions. most dye products provide gloves; it's there for a reason. ydi. good luck, though.

1dvs_bstd 41

Dyes come with a glove for a reason. Maybe you should wear a glove to work.. And here's the kick; it'll take days for everything to come off.

I've never seen a box of hair dye NOT come with gloves - they're in there for a reason. YDI. But yes, rubbing alcohol, or any alcohol really. Also next time you dye her hair for someone use vaseline on anywhere exposed that may get dye on it - makes it come off super easy.

CurlyQute 17

There's a reason why it's called "dye". If it's box color then it comes with gloves. You're supposed to use them to prevent that from happening.

The top layer of your skin will replace itself soon enough. Source: got iodine on my hands

pnutzmckracken 3

Say it was part of a comic con costume

I would think they'd want you as a server to wear gloves anyways just so you're not directly touching the food.

Its Hair dye? How stupid are you to believe you didnt need gloves.

its dye its purpose is to paint things you should've known better

milk_cookies83 5

There's a reason it's called dye. It's used to dye things, like hair. Or, in your case, hands.