By Sally19863 - 30/08/2010 16:18 - South Africa

Today, I discovered that I have developed a latex allergy. I'm a third year medical student. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 966
You deserved it 3 068

Same thing different taste

Top comments

sundayporch 2

So? Most hospitals have stopped using latex gloves, anyway.

WhyTheFace4 0

Comments

Speak to someone about purchacing latex-free gloves.

they now have available non latex gloves. as a busing student, most of my classes had them available to students . I'm sure if you just ask, they have a substitute... good luck!

crazyj12006 3

wear nitriles or vinyl gloves

AtrumMessor 1

Latex free or powderless gloves, mate. They suck but they work.

ALincoln 0

You're a THIRD year? That's disgusting. Now I know why we nurses have to save you're asses all the time. It took you three years I touch a patient!!! You should be ashamed or embarrassed you had the balls to post this.

Erm, you know how people can gain allergies through overuse/over exposure of something. It's also possible that the OP already had a minor intolerance to latex that has become a lot worse because they've been using latex gloves for three years.

Why, oh why can critical thinking not be taught? Let's break it down: some pts have latex allergies, meaning you can't use latex on them. Therefore, they have entire kits of latex-free equipment: foleys, NGTs, and even-gasp- latex-free GLOVES!!! Imagine the possibilities!

According to the alevel system critical thinking can be taught... :P

Yeah, I was about to say, this person JUST found out they have a latex allergy-- being a 3rd year med student is pretty mature, have they never had sex before? I'd imagine they'd find out school is she came in contact with condoms, but apparently not o.o

Irraesh 2

omg you people are stupid! allergies change. she didn't always have it. she just got it i assume. you could be allergic to latex tommorrow. so shut your god damn mouth if you dont know what your talking about.

they make non latex stuff stop whining

Kawaiichan42 3

129: Allergies can randomly develop/worsen over time. I'm guessing the latex gloves Op was using on a regular basis ended up irritating her hands.