By Anonyme - 18/09/2016 01:42 - France - Vendenheim

Today, I came back from the hospital after back surgery which required putting screws in my spine. My children spent all day trying to stick magnets on my back. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 087
You deserved it 93

Top comments

Tell them that this only step one to you getting your Adamantium skeleton and becoming Wolverine.

To bad about the back surgery and why it lead to that. But it's quite awesome that you now can have magnets attached to you, and that you can play with your kids in that way. Especially when you probably can't play with them in much other ways right now.

Comments

Tell them that this only step one to you getting your Adamantium skeleton and becoming Wolverine.

To bad about the back surgery and why it lead to that. But it's quite awesome that you now can have magnets attached to you, and that you can play with your kids in that way. Especially when you probably can't play with them in much other ways right now.

If the metal in the skrews are magnetic and the magnetic is strong enough. I just assumed they succeeded. I honestly don't know what kind of metal they use. But it's probably titan, and then it's sadly not magnetic. But hey, I bet they have a fun time anyways!

I the metal is steel not iron so I guess they wont stick

LostInTheZone11 29

It's actually probobaly a non magnetic Titanium alloy. I have screws and rods fused to my spine as well.

I have screws and pins in my arm. I'm not magnetic :(

Iron isn't biocompatible. (It rusts) They're almost certainly titanium and therefore not magnetic, so the magnets won't stick. Most other magnetic metals (Nickel, cobalt, etc.) are highly toxic, which rules them out as well.

Thank you. That is awesome and you made my day by sharing. I am sorry if it is not cool for you, but it was great over here.

You should put a magnet under your shirt. It will make their day!

So you don't like your children having fun with you? I get that it could get irritating after a while but still...

it must be painful having them mess with a recent surgery site, and even if the metal was magnetic it would cause issues with the screws being moved by a magnet think before you condemn people

josiemorehouse 12

The screws are titanium and are not magnetic. I had 2 rods & 4 screws put in my back in 2011. The metal has to be non-magnetic, surgical-grade titanium so it doesn't rust, wear down or poison the body. I can only imagine that it's painful having the kids try to put magnets near s surgery site. Explain that the magnets may work, but that they could hurt you if the screws are shifted by the magnets. Happy healing, OP.

LostInTheZone11 29

Another reason is so it won't interfere with certain machines like MRIs. Over 20 screws fused to my back with two rods.

They're not titanium, there nanochips to control you during the next national crisis.

I wouldn't want the kids anywhere near my surgery site if I were you. Kids tend to have problems remembering to be gentle. I'd tell them they can try the magnets after mommy's had time to heal properly and to be super careful and gentle around mommy because she has a really big owwie, & then continue to remind them of that. My brother had to have minor surgery on his lower back and has 3 kids ages 2, 4, & 5 and they had to constantly remind them of his "owwie" because if not, the little ones tend to run and jump to sit & cuddle with daddy, excited that he was home all week and on the couch. Hope you heal well and quickly and that the kids & your husband are able to give you some time and space to heal properly.

I apparently didn't thought this through before I commented. I was just so excited about being magnetic, that I forgot all I know about magnetism, metals and pain.