By mdg41 - 22/01/2015 17:55 - United States - Belvidere

Today, I called a suicide prevention hotline. The guy who picked up sounded drunk, told me to fuck off, and hung up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 533
You deserved it 3 731

mdg41 tells us more.

mdg41 2

Hi I posted this. Thanks for all the support!! I was in a really bad place when I posted this but I've been talking to a professional and got on medication and I'm really improving. All your comments really helped too. I didn't call the wrong number, I called back and asked someone else for a supervisor and he said he'd look into it. Never heard anything back from him though. I just hope the asshole that told me to **** off didn't drive anybody else over the edge :

Top comments

I'm not going to even make a joke. OP, things might seem dark and grey now, but things will always get better. Trust me, I've been where you are at, and life gets brighter. Finding a support group that offers advice and genuinely cares is invaluable.

Oh wow. Maybe instead of working at a help hotline he should call one too. On a side note. Don't do it.

Comments

Creepy. I once read that Ted Bundy worked at a suicide prevention center. You never know who you'll get on the opposite line.

Hope you're doing better OP. If you still need help maybe try a different hotline. There's a lot of different ones out there. Also message boards. And try looking in your local newspaper for suppoaet group listings. Hope you find the help you need. Hang in there.

This is no joke. OP. Please reach out again. As you can see there are humans that care! It gets better. I promise.

NomeDMF 17

How ironic. Don't do it OP. There's a light at the end of the cave.

Don't stop believing! Don't give up, OP.

Maybe he was feeling the pressure of his own troubled life. Sorry you had to deal with such a difficult situation. I hope there was someone else you were able to talk to. I wish you all the luck and success in dealing with the difficult aspects of your life. Just so you know, you are worth fighting for.

That is not okay... WTF is a drunk guy doing answering calls on a suicide hotline?! I hope that you are okay and that you can see there is so much more to life. I used to be extremely suicidal but now I have great friends. I hope you can find someone who makes life seem like it's worth living. It's worth the wait trust me. If you want someone to talk to please message me at anytime... I wish you the best please don't give up.

FML can be your hotline, just look at all the people in the comments who care!! Suicide doesn't make life better, it makes sure that it can never can get better, so please get help, OP, I'm sure you're an amazing person and life will turn up for you soon!

Depression might tell you that you are worthless, that the world is better off without you, that ridding them of you is the only honourable thing to do. But depression lies! Depression is the most cunning liar ever! Never ever forget that, no matter what it whispers into your ear, know that there are always people who know you, love you and whose lives you have touched. Killing yourself will make their life really sucky (technical term), a whole lot worse than having you around while you are dealing with your depression. Don't give in, fight for your life, fight to get the fog to lift from your mind! You are worth it! And now go off and read hyperboleandahalf.com and thebloggess.com

He's partially correct, ever heard of self-talk?

47, Depression is different for everyone. Yes I was suicidal before, and for me it was exactly like I wrote it down here. I was telling myself that I was a useless mum and that I should drive against a wall before my kids were old enough to remember, that they would be better off if my hubby found a new mum for them, a less useless person. I'm sitting here, tears running down my face thinking about what I almost did. Way do discredit my feelings and experiences, 47, thank you very much!

Yeah, really, #47. Just cus something doesn't resonate with you, doesn't mean it's not genuine. Everyone's experience is unique. Please keep that in mind, in the future.

Wow, big difference between your first message and the follow-up to the mindless reply you got. Really shows how much we don't know about everyone else. Also, it's quite unusual hearing from a grown person who even had kids at the time of her depression, you usually hear about younger people with these issues. I mean, I know people of every age go through this stuff, but hearing details like that is terrifying, albeit probably necessary to some. Glad you're here, sturschaedel, and everyone you wrote about is very lucky.