By almost broke - 21/02/2016 13:24 - Czech Republic - Brno

Today, because my fiancé is criminally incompetent at budgeting, I'm now having to pay the first installment for my own wedding ring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 564
You deserved it 4 464

Same thing different taste

Top comments

expertsmilee 26

I understand how love is a complicated thing, but something in your brain has GOT to be saying this is a bad start and is probably a sign of how things are going to be going forward.

Comments

My mom helped my dad pay for her engagement ring & she didn't care. I don't really think it's a big deal to split the cost. When you're in a relationship that serious the money belongs to both parties anyway so his money is her money & vice versa.

If it is not your engagement ring then you should be paying for it.

First instalment makes it sound like the ring is costly. You don't have to break the bank; a cheaper ring serves the same purpose.

I don't know what you consider love to be, but you are clearly settling for a moron. If you have to pay for your own wedding ring because your fiance is that bad at managing his finances, it's a premonition of things to come later in the marriage. You will have to be the bread winner in this family.

just think as helping him get it started

what's wrong with cheap wedding bands from amazon?! maybe it's just me, but I never understood the ring craze. It is a dumb expense, which depreciates rapidly in value. Going on a holiday would be better value for money.

Some people can't wear cheap jewelry. I don't know what exactly in it causes it, but if I wear any I will get an itchy green rash wherever the jewelry was laying.

If I wear anything with nickel my fingers swell and get all red and cracky.. As it is my gold engagement ring irritates my finger! You never know what metal you're getting off amazon

flyingflies 36

What I don't get is why the ring should be so bloody expensive. Weddings are the best example of how we, as a society, are fooled into buying useless stuff just because (almost) everyone does it. Spending your life with your beloved shouldn't be marked by crippling debt over one party!!

Who says the ring is expensive? The ring I want is $150 AUD. This might still be expensive to some, however to me it is cheap as I'd rather the money be spent on us travelling

I think it's only super expensive if you go for the traditional diamond bands. My mom's ring is black onyx and only cost a couple hundred. And I personally don't want a diamond, but would prefer a different stone set in rose gold.

If they're paying for it in multiple installments, it is certainly not a $150 ring.

#95 I totally disagree. Some people apply for loans of $20. It wouldn't be surprising for such a person to also have to pay for something worth $150 in installments. You can't just make assumptions

leave her, a financially unstable woman also has other, bigger issues.

Well at least now you know who should be in charge of budgeting and bills when you get married OP! My mother is the one that takes care of it in my family because my dads horrible with details. The great thing about marriage is that you can find someone who's strengths compliment your weaknesses!

lemonlime66 21

OP, I am struggling to see which part of your post YOU think is the FML? is it that he is financially incompetent, or is it because you have to pay for your wedding ring?