By NiteShayd - 09/11/2013 16:40 - Canada

Today, after hours of organizing and spending around $300 for my three-year-old's birthday party, I realized I forgot to send out the invitations. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 946
You deserved it 43 371

NiteShayd tells us more.

Let me clarify, since its very cold outside, I decided to rent a play area for my son and his friends. I was to send the invitations in his bag when he went to preschool, but I evidently forgot. The $300 was for everything, the cake, gifts, play area rental, food and a clown. I ended up making some last minute calls and quite a few people showed up.

Top comments

$300? My birthday parties didn't exceed the cost of the cake and a balloon. Save that money for his college fund; it'll be appreciated more.

I guess Junior is going to learn the meaning of the word "disappointment" early in life.

Comments

I don't see why people are bashing and making suggestions on what the money should be spent on. It's not your pocket that money came out of. I spend around that much or more for each birthday party I throw my daughters . Sorry about your kiddos invites op I always forget people when I send mine out. Go ahead y'all hit that thumbs down because I don't agree with y'all!!!

Exactly. And it doesn't necessarily mean the kid will turn out spoiled just because he/she gets an over the top party once a year.

The way my husband and I see it is they only have one party per year why not make it special

I don't think everyone is realizing just how quickly you can go through $300 for a party. Even just getting the bare essentials for the party and the presents and you could be at $300 easily.

Exactly!!! And there's always extra costs from little things

Agreed. Hiring a kid friendly place in a half decent neighbourhood costs a small fortune (that's why my 3yr old got a small house party instead) but if you have the money to spunk several hundred on a party, you're probably not -too- worried about affording a car or college fees later.

Are you people bullshitting me? i got a homemade cake and a balloon for my parties when i was a kid. it was still freaking awesome. now, correct me if im wrong, but i dont think that even hits the $100 mark

I always had a homemade cake, a few balloons, and 2 to 5 friends (but usually 2 or 3) coming. And I was very happy with it, it was still my special day. $300 is more than my monthly rent!

Yup 14. Some parents can handle both saving and spending. My mom did it by sacrificing her extras. The sad part is $300 isn't really a lot when you start looking at just food for the kids and parents.

I would love to have a monthly rent of under $300... my weekly rent is more than that!!

I have roommates, and my apartment is tiny. ;)

Really? I only have a party every other year, never go anywhere I just invite 2 or 3 friends and that's about it. I think if you're spending $300 on your kids party not including gifts, your child is probably spoiled because it will begin to just EXPECT it. My step-aunt has 3 kids and spends $500+ on each party(her kids are no older than 6) and when her children open gifts with only one thing or a card without money they get angry. And their mom gets mad if you don't spend $40+ on a gift. They expect too much. Don't spoil your kids. You have to be happy with what you get and appreciate it. $300+ is too much for a 3 year old.

Maybe next time put all that money into the presents! And like someone else said just buy some cake and balloons :P. If no one showed up atleast your kid would be... A spoiled brat.

So your kids going to be a spoiled brat because you threw them a party?! And instead of spending the money on making their day special they should spend it on buying them gifts?! Hmm wouldn't that make them spoiled?! Last time I checked giving in to your kids every whim and desire makes them spoiled not one party a year.

Oh I just meant spoiled because he'd get a 300$ present instead of a 300$ party. And by spoiled I meant it nicely.

no matter what context the word spoiled is in , it doesnt have a positive connotation

juarezj96 12

Damn that's so much money for a party the kid won't even remember

You could still invite people by phone if the party hasn't happened.

exactly! I doubt op hasn't talked to anyone that is supposed to be attending the party... or mentioned it any other way like running into them and talking to them in person or on Facebook or something...surely some people will still show up!

Why would you spend that much time and money on a 3-year-old's birthday party? Save it for Sweet Sixteen, or for his/her education.

ninjuh_wingman 29

Damn. Your kid is three years old and you're spending that much money on a party? That's crazy.

Why spend so much on a birthday party that your kid likely won't remember 10 years from now?

ahippienamedrae 10

At least you were considerate enough to plan it all out, minus that one thing. :)

Lil_Red777 21

I could understand if the child was in their teens. But to spend that much on a toddler's birthday??? That's insane!