By Anonymous - 12/12/2016 04:33 - United States - Yuma

Today, after buying hundreds of dollars worth of Christmas presents, my transmission blew up on the interstate heading home. Now, I either have to return the gifts or not drive over 25. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 296
You deserved it 974

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ask for a new transmission for Christmas.

I would return a couple of gifts and take care of the necessities. There are always birthdays, OP.

Comments

I would return the gifts. You don't need to spend hundreds on Christmas, I spent $10 and I'm sure it will make her happy.

That's assuming that OP only got a present for one person. Most people shop for their families too.

That's it? Do you only know one person? Is your family still around? If so, and they give you gifts, you really are a tightass for not doing it in return. Christmas doesn't come from a store, but $10 and only for one person, is really stretching it..

You don't know OP's family and friends. You can't say anything about what they would or would not be happy with.

Christmas is about spending time with family, not spending all of your money. I don't want anything from my family or friends for Christmas, but because they've bought me things I feel obliged to purchase things for them. I want to save money not spend it.

Well that's fine for you, 17. Everyone has their own customs and ways to celebrate things. Just because you don't enjoy the gift part of Christmas as much doesn't mean everyone has to celebrate it that way. If I had to wager a guess based on this FML, I would think that OP enjoys buying people gifts for Christmas.

They got you gifts to show they care about you, and they care more about you then money. It's 1 day a year, it's not like it's every week, you sound ungrateful and selfish.

Don't feel bad with all these people hating on you. I personally don't buy anyone gifts for Christmas. And I make sure to tell everyone I know that I won't be buying them anything. and I don't want anything either. this year I kind of made an exception because I made something for my girlfriend. But even that was pushing it for me. I don't like how this season is about consumerism. I don't like feeling obligated to participate in that cycle. So I don't. But someone else was right when they said OP obviously does like spending money for Christmas and that's ok too if that's their beliefs and the way they want to celebrate the holiday. So it is unreasonable to a degree to expect OP to celebrate like you do.

I didn't say anywhere that OP should do what I do, I was merely stating that not everyone buys loads of gifts (for those calling the original commenter a tight ass) but we shouldn't spend more than we can afford. There should always be left over money for unexpected bills, such as what OP is now experiencing. Some people get themselves into severe debt over Christmas (my mum included) because it's so commercialised and it's seen as bad not to fork out.

notusually 8

A trip to the banana republic would kill you?

I'd try for both. buy cheaper presents AND fix your trans!

Sounds like the beginning of a bizarre sequel to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer in which Rudolph leads a broken car to ensure the owner can still afford presents. "Rudolph with your nose so bright, why won't you stop at the red lights?"

I would rather see a movie about Santa getting into the illegal street racing scene to win a new car for OP.

Borrow money to fix your car and sell the presents you receive to pay it back.

I know you're usually sarcastic so I'm stuck here trying to figure out if this is a joke or not... I hope it is.

Hopefully, you get enough cash for Christmas that you can use that to pay off the debt, and have the luxury of keeping all the ugly sweaters and fruitcakes you received.

Maybe, if OP asks for cash to fix his transmission. But selling/returning gifts people gave you is just being a dick.

No, it just means you are desperate for money.

I would return a couple of gifts and take care of the necessities. There are always birthdays, OP.

Ask for a new transmission for Christmas.

This happened to me a few years ago, the transmission crapping out on a busy highway at night. So scary :| Another motorist and a cop moved me off to the side so my car didn't get totaled.

So glad you were ok! That would definitely be scary.

So that means everyone else should follow your example and hate Christmas too?

And this is why I have an emergency car fund. Sorry OP, best to return the gifts and give them for birthdays of something later.