By BadGoldDigger - 26/05/2015 12:18 - United States

Today, after being with my fiance for almost a decade, my future mother-in-law has been accusing me of being a gold digger because we want to buy a house together. She has conveniently forgotten her son was out of work for two years and I supported the both of us. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 417
You deserved it 2 411

BadGoldDigger tells us more.

OP here! The below is going to be pretty tl;dr, so I apologize! :P This has been an ongoing issue ever since we started the house buying process, though I'm pretty sure she has never really like me . I guess she didn't feel threatened until my fiance and I were going to have something legally tying us together. Aaaaand the reason why I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me is because I'm Asian(well, half, so I guess I'm not white enough for her...?) She made a comment when my fiance and I tried dating in high school and broke up about being glad she's not going to have any Asian grand babies. ANYWAYS. He came home from his parents' house pissed as usual because both his parents are super negative. Fortunately, his dad seems to like me, but picks at everything my fiance does. His mom kept asking him questions like, "Are you really happy with her?" "Does she make you happy?" She had asked him where I was at and he told her I was out with friends and she had the audacity to suggest I was cheating on him. Her reasoning, "your dad and I don't see our friends very often." Never mind the fact that my fiance hangs out with his friends until 2AM just about every Saturday night doing nerd things. But I'm not allowed to have friends, apparently. She even took his sarcasm seriously when he told her he was going to have to buy me a nice sink for the kitchen. It has been like that every time he goes to see them(he doesn't wonder why I don't want to go over there) so it has gotten to the point he is going to basically tell them to (nicely) **** off or he's going to stop visiting until they can play nice. Irony is, his grandma from his dad's side used to treat his mom like dirt for the longest time. So unless it's a family tradition, you would think she would understand. Good thing for my fiance is that both my parents adore him and are really supportive of the both of us. I know it's because they both came from families that had a hard time accepting the other.

Top comments

Ignore her and buy the house anyway. If she keeps haranguing you, don't invite her to the housewarming.

Now I ain't sayin she a gold digger...

Comments

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

If you are still together after 10 years just ignore her she can't do anything now.

I think I have read this same FML a few months ago at this same site. -_-

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to remind her of that fact...

**** mother in laws. If your fiancé loves you enough she'll stay. Don't let mother in laws ruin your relationship

I can see how that would make sense... Either you're a retrospective gold-digger (your actions make you one in hindsight), a crystal ball gold-digger (you knew he would get rich eventually), or a venture capitalist gold-digger (you took a calculated risk) ;P.

Mothers-in-law can be so annoying. I'm sorry, OP. And I hope your fiance is on your side!

SmittyJA24 26

"Been together" 10 years & not married? That's none of my business.... but get married before you buy the house "together". I've seen many people (male & female) lose the money they've paid on a mortgage because of things like this.

Doesn't matter. Never buy a house with someone until after the ink dries on the marriage certificate. It's bad juju to do it before.

Your just as likely to lose the house in a divorce as you are in a 10 year relationship