By phalangesenfuego - 10/03/2016 14:07 - United States - Yakima

Today, a student came out to me, saying that she thinks she's gay. This has happened several times since I have taught here, which made me wonder why they were comfortable telling me. Turns out being a single, childless woman of my age screams "lesbian" to this particular community. I'm not. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 959
You deserved it 2 091

phalangesenfuego tells us more.

phalangesenfuego 11

OP here. Just to clarify, I'm not offended that people mistake me for a lesbian. What bothered me was the assumption was made based on what I feel are stereotypes of what a lesbian should be (single and childless). I do support ALL my students with whatever they come to me with, be it family issues, bullying problems, etc, and I feel privileged they feel comfortable enough to come to me with these things they are struggling with. And thank you for all the positive comments. Sometimes teaching is a thankless job, and positive support is few and far between.

Top comments

Lesbehonest, this is a great chance to give advice to the next generation!

Doesn't sound like you're childless to me. Seems like you've acted as a mother to several of these students who felt more comfortable talking to you than their own families. Good on you, OP! Teens and young adults need more understanding and less being told what is and isn't right. Keep it up!

Comments

Maybe they think you're cute.... even if it would be better if guys will tell it to you since you're straight.

Btdtgts 22

small town gossip is what it sounds like.

If they think you're a lesbian and it took you this long to find out, then it means most of them weren't judging you for it. So that's something.

moo77_fml 20

Clearly an approachable teacher... We should have more of you around :)

At least you can hopfully help the kids.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Ew. Why would OP want to leak nudes of her to her students? And why should she need to prove her sexuality to her students?

Teachers have been fired for old bikini pics coming to light. Can you imagine how this woman would get demonized if sex pics popped up?

That is actually the worst advice I have ever heard

I think it's great that these kids feel comfortable enough around you to share with you what they are going through. It doesn't matter if they think you're gay or not... they trust you and that's all that matters.

c'mon, it doesn't mean they think that! but if you think you're giving that impression and dislike the idea, change it! how? makeover!

That makes it sound like there's a certain look to being gay..which obviously isn't true

This isnt really an FML. Its a compliment to you! Obviously these girls need someone to confide in and they feel like they can trust you. You should be proud of that!

dannnngthatsux 19

The name sure looks like "fingers on cheese".

JohnTheDonJuan 11

?? If you're talking about op's user name, fuego means fire...