Prevention

By CalyenaL - 13/05/2012 01:35 - Mexico - Tijuana

Today, I'm found out I'm pregnant. My husband and I spoke at length about how we were going to handle things, which included him "forbidding" me from having an epidural, because he doesn't want our baby to "come out addicted to drugs." FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 786
You deserved it 3 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He will change his mind when you break his hand going into labor.

He's not the one pushing a baby out of his vag. Tell him it's your choice. And, sometimes doctors really want people to get them, so that they don't pass out from pain.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
elletex 8

Oh, lovely. Another "super mom" on her pedestal.

woodenbo89x 4

It has nothing to do with being weak. She just found out she's pregnant and he's already deciding what she can and can't do in her labor. Men do NOT know what labor feels like, so as a man, he shouldn't be allowed to TELL her that she can't get an epidural. Can he suggest that she doesn't get an epidural? Absolutely, but flat out telling her no is just ridiculous. You're no better than her husband by judging people who have had an epidural.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

There's nothing natural about childbirth without pain medicine. Your point about it not being around 100 years ago is ridiculous - we didn't have antibiotics 100 years ago either. Or sterility. Or gloves. Are you REALLY advocating going back to that? Didn't think so. If you want to give birth without drugs, that's just dandy for you. But don't try to convince other women they they don't need it. Otherwise you're no better than OP's husband.

29 - "hey to each their own" Really? It's kind of hypocritical to say that after a long-ass rant about how giving birth is nothing less than magical and anyone who uses pain meds is a weak pansy.

Michele2luv 8

I have a kid and I almost died. I am damn happy I got that epidural tho so you can get off your soapbox thanks

Childbirth is a beautiful, wonderful thing, but it's still probably the most painful thing ever. I may be strong, but I personally don't want a ton of pain that I don't need.

100 years ago, they used ether to completely knock the woman out so that they didn't feel a thing, and woke up after the birth. So your argument is invalid.

Zoh_Aubrey 8

Excuse me, not everyone vag is so loose that they can just spit a baby out and it be joyous and magical and painless.

22cute 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Pregnancy and childbirth is different for every woman, and you definitely aren't a better person for doing it drug free. Take your self righteous shit elsewhere; no one is impressed.

A. Our bodies can only stand a certain amount of pain & during childbirth we experience 1,000 x's more pain than our body can stand (so excuse some of us for using a little extra to dull the pain). B. Not everyone agrees with midwives & no pain mess & visa versa. So how dare anybody look down on another for their choice in medical preference. C. 100 years ago more women & children died during childbirth than they do now. You're point is mute.

112- really? Your labour was painless? So the you couldn't possibly understand why someone would want an epidural, right? Because your birthing experiences were so magical and pain-free. Home birthing was right for YOU. Personally, all I want is to get the baby out and start enjoying motherhood. I don't need a bunch of pain to make my delivery "magical". If I could even just get a C-section that would be great. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to do that in Quebec...

but the child won't be born "ADDICTED"

Have him speak with an anesthesiologist and an OB so he can hear from doctors why it is beneficial to get them.

When the contractions hit grab his balls and squeeze. Assuming that you aren't past the point where they can't give you an epidural he'll change his mind.

klovemachine 24

Kick him in the junk. See how he likes that :D

Okay, and he also doesnt know what giving birth feels like. Tell him to shove it.

Your asshole seems very constricted right now. No, I'm talking about your husband. He has no right to forbid you from anything. He's not the one squeezing a watermelon through a 10-cm pipe, now is he? Tell him to shut the **** up and be supportive. That's his only job during your delivery, not flapping his gums.

jennifernorvell 7

This is a conversation u shoulda had before the I do's

Devin91 20

Congrats, and that doesn't happen but the baby's heart rate might drop so try to go natural !

cheetahbaby96 8

Yeah, no thanks. Tell him to try pushing a melon out his asshole then ask his opinion!