Parental pressure

By asian-indian-kid - 09/05/2022 02:00

Today, my dad reminded me that he expects me to try to get into a prestigious (read: top 5, braggable) university for undergrad. I just want to be normal and go to an above average school where I can thrive, instead of killing my mental health now and then mutilating its dead body after I go to college. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 033
You deserved it 128

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As a professional working at a Fortune 50 company for over 25 years, I’ve been asked about college once. It was to find out who I supported in the NCAA tournament. Meaning: no one cares what college you went to.

Who's paying? I'll take a lot of grief for a free ride to a top college. But if I'm paying with loans then I'd rather piss off dad

Comments

As a professional working at a Fortune 50 company for over 25 years, I’ve been asked about college once. It was to find out who I supported in the NCAA tournament. Meaning: no one cares what college you went to.

You neglected to put your degree. In some fields, graduating from a top school gives you a permanent advantage. If you're in a field that requires specific knowledge and skills, you need to get the most rigorous degree you can handle.

Who's paying? I'll take a lot of grief for a free ride to a top college. But if I'm paying with loans then I'd rather piss off dad

How smart are you? You need to find the right school for you.

you can always just apply to the schools YOU want and make fake rejection letters from the ones your dad wants so you can do what I'd best for you. Your mental health will always be more important that what your parents want. that's not you being selfish it's THEM being selfish.

kitten79TX 5

Do what's best for you. Your father will get over it.

rotflqtms_ 21

Don't forget that the top 5 colleges also come with top 5 prices. If you're paying for your education/taking out loans for them, remind him that you don't feel comfortable taking out such a huge loan and being saddled with a huge debt. I left college with 17k in debt right before covid. I'm down to 9.8k in debt. I worked through college and took out a loan for an accelerated nursing program. You do you. You're gonna be the one paying for it and taking the classes, so you apply to the schools you wanna go to. Now if he's gonna pay the application fees, go ahead and apply. You may even win a scholarship/full ride. But at the end of the day, the decision is 100% yours what school you go to. If you get in, he'll have the bragging rights of the fact that you got into one of those, and that is good enough. He's not gonna be footing the bill or taking your classes for you, so it's your choice, not his.