Parental guilt

By low_expectations - 18/10/2020 02:08 - United States - New York

Today, my mother tried guilt-tripping me about coming home for the holidays by explaining that, “according to average life expectancy,” she and my father could be dead in the next 10-25 years. I’m already coming home for the holidays. She knows this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 129
You deserved it 87

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"So...you're trying to tell me I've got some TIME. A couple of DECADES, by your reckoning. I'LL BE SURE TO KEEP THAT IN MIND."

Well, if they are that close to death, they should probably buy you much more expensive gifts so they can see you enjoy them before they go. Makes sense, right?

Comments

"So...you're trying to tell me I've got some TIME. A couple of DECADES, by your reckoning. I'LL BE SURE TO KEEP THAT IN MIND."

Well, if they are that close to death, they should probably buy you much more expensive gifts so they can see you enjoy them before they go. Makes sense, right?

(1) Until Mom learns that you don’t respond to guilt trips she’s going to use that. Ignore every attempt she makes to use that “tool”. If you’re on the phone just say you have to go, say “bye” and hang up. If she calls right back, let it go to voice mail... (2) If mom already knew you were planning to come over, maybe she forgot or she has the beginnings of dementia or Alzheimer’s. Keep an ear and eye open in case dementia or Alzheimer’s is the case.

Maybe she was hunting at you NOT coming home to protect them from covid.

Parents do get like this as they get older. Do an eyeroll, but also make sure to appreciate the time you do spend with them. And make sure to check in on them