This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By kt - 16/12/2016 17:50 - United States - Potsdam

My mom adopted a 14 year old girl because she "felt bad for her". Yesterday my mom asks me if I would be mad if the girl got more Christmas gifts than me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 424
You deserved it 93

Top comments

tash901 31

Stop being selfish and try to make her feel welcomed and loved by HER new family. Do you know her full story? Have you been kind to her? Your mum has done a wonderful thing that you should be proud of her not slating her on here. YDI

Get over it she didn't have a family. This will probably be the first christmas she gets to be truly happy. Stop whining like a child and make her feel like she is part of the family.

Comments

Get over it she didn't have a family. This will probably be the first christmas she gets to be truly happy. Stop whining like a child and make her feel like she is part of the family.

tash901 31

Stop being selfish and try to make her feel welcomed and loved by HER new family. Do you know her full story? Have you been kind to her? Your mum has done a wonderful thing that you should be proud of her not slating her on here. YDI

One_In_Three 24

**** the 14 year old girl's life for having to put up with someone like you.

She's just trying to make her feel welcome and loved. Maybe she's never had a good Christmas before and your mom wants to change that. Your mom still loves you but maybe the new girl just needs some attention right now. Chill.

If that girl was an orphan she probably did not have much and by having Christmas it's a way of your mom giving her things that she can't reject or feel guilty for also stop feeling bad for yourself and make a new friend

Wow I hardly ever comment but this is by far the most selfish and inconsiderate FML I've seen. LEARN EMPATHY.

I think it would depend more on what the gifts are and why they are being given. What did she bring with her when she moved in? What will she need to be an equal in your house in terms of clothing, books, electronics etc - or would you prefer that she lived in the cupboard under the stairs and get by on your cast offs? There's a petty good chance that at least some of these gifts are being given out of necessity

And you told her that no, of course you wouldn't be mad, right? That christmas is about more than gifts, right? That you were also trying to think of ways to welcome your new family member, right?

wow your mother did an amazing thing by giving your new sister a home and family for Christmas, enjoy this time and stop being selfish.

The chances are a 14 year old girl in need of adoption has had a life tougher than most of us can imagine. It sounds like your mum could involve you a bit more in this sudden change in your family but try to see how much difference it will make to your new sister to be a part of a real family and have a few things that you have most likely had for years. New siblings are difficult, even for very young children. When we had our second child, someone said to us: "imagine that your husband came home one day and said 'this is my new wife, Sue. She'll be living with us now. It doesn't mean that I love you any less, only that I love her too now'." That would hurt anyone and may well be how you are feeling right now. However, your mum really does still love you and clearly thinks you are mature enough now to be able to share some of the advantages you have had with your new sister. I hope you can work it out.