Mother knows best...

By flymetothemoon - 27/09/2017 20:00

Today, I finally figured out what I want to do for the rest of my life. Too bad my tattoos will prevent me from ever getting hired. Guess you were right, Mom. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 013
You deserved it 4 319

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Most jobs are ok with tattoos as long as they're easily hidden. Plus the number of employers who are against tattoos seems to be decreasing. So unless you have a face/neck tattoo, you should be fine.

What did you want to do? Do you have tattoos on your face? In most jobs, you could cover up most tattoos. I’ll need more details before I deface this comment section with unnecessary ink.

Comments

What did you want to do? Do you have tattoos on your face? In most jobs, you could cover up most tattoos. I’ll need more details before I deface this comment section with unnecessary ink.

What exactly did you want to do? Was it something religious but that big ol' "Burn in Hell" tattoo" on your arm preventing you from getting into the field?

Lobby_Bee 17

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Most jobs are ok with tattoos as long as they're easily hidden. Plus the number of employers who are against tattoos seems to be decreasing. So unless you have a face/neck tattoo, you should be fine.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Invest in some high quality foundation- preferably water resistant, or set said foundation with a spray that puts a water resistant layer over it. Many workplaces are stepping away from complete bans on tattoos, with some only asking that any unprofessional, vulgar, or bigoted tattoos are hidden or altered into a more professional appearance. Others ask that most tattoos are covered, and any visible ones are work place appropriate. Then there are the ones that still refuse to hire those that are tattooed, and also fire anyone who was first hired THEN got a tattoo- sometimes even when there isn't actually any policy or other official rule against them in the employee handbook. So many people have drawn huge amounts of attention to the last of the types of companies I listed. The arguments between the "constitutional right to express yourself" side and the "tattoos are unprofessional and indicate poor judgement" sides did and still are having an affect on how businesses approach tattoos. Ironically, despite both major sides being unwilling to compromise, the majority of companies are taking the middle of the road in regards to changing their policies.

I always had the policy that my tattoos are for me, and all my tattoos can be covered with a short sleeve shirt. I hold the same standards in my hiring practices. I don't care that you have tattoos, I just don't want to see them at work.

If nothing else, there's always tattoo removal!

This really all depends on where the tattoos are located and what the design of them are.

There's make-up specifically designed to cover tattoos. Invest in some or save up and get them removed. Your life's not over.