Lazy comeback

By Anonymous - 17/07/2020 02:01

Today, I was doing my job and trying to teach a lazy bunch of 16-year-olds. A girl entered the room just 15 minutes before class ended, so I snapped, "Someone had better have died for you to be this late!" She immediately burst into tears. Turns out, someone had. FML
I agree, your life sucks 703
You deserved it 2 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If that’s how you feel about your students, maybe you shouldn’t be a teacher.

awildwhisper 30

Yikes, that's not good timing. Maybe they're not just lazy though. If it's the whole class that's a problem then it might be your teaching style. I was always an A and B student but in my many years of school, I've had a couple classes that I had to fight at the end to fix my C because I stopped caring about the class due to the teacher.

Comments

awildwhisper 30

Yikes, that's not good timing. Maybe they're not just lazy though. If it's the whole class that's a problem then it might be your teaching style. I was always an A and B student but in my many years of school, I've had a couple classes that I had to fight at the end to fix my C because I stopped caring about the class due to the teacher.

Perhaps you are right but there definitely are lazy 16-year-olds too who struggle in many (most) subjects and then blaming the teacher isn't fair. While the teacher shouldn't snap they are still humans and odds of someone actually having died are low so I wouldn't be so harsh on them.

They probably already cried a lot over the person that died, so the tears over your rebuke would not be too significant.

Mathalamus 24

Yeah... don’t say that. You deserved it.

If that’s how you feel about your students, maybe you shouldn’t be a teacher.

tounces7 27

Perhaps your lack of tact and understanding are why you're struggling as a teacher.

As a fellow teacher, I understand the struggle. Sometimes you just can’t grasp their attention, the activity/topic doesn’t interest them, they can have learning difficulties, or there can be personality issues. It can be really tough. I have definitely said some things I didn’t mean or they came out wrong. But you may need to work on controlling your emotional response a little more. No matter how much they annoy you, you can’t let them know it. That way you’ll never get to them. Good luck!

Sounds like an entitled teacher problem jackass.

Yyyeaah maybe you should have asked if she had a reason first before yelling at her.

Lolo ✨ 5

If you can’t practice empathy first before assuming the worst of your students then maybe you shouldn’t be a teacher. We’re in the midst of a pandemic that has taken many lives. It’s not far fetched to think that a death may have occurred in her family or some other emergency is going on which caused her to be late. You could’ve handled this much better.

Way to go, dickhole! Try asking "why" the next time a student is late.