Happy Valentine's Day anyway

By Brokenheartz - This FML is from back in 2010 but it's good stuff - United Kingdom

Today, my boyfriend of 6 months told me he was not going to celebrate Valentine's Day because it was a "capitalistic consumerism holiday." He works in a bank and helps "capitalistic consumerism" 364 days a year. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 982
You deserved it 5 392

Top comments

364? Which one day gets left out? Also, I'm pretty sure banks are closed a lot more than 1 day a year.

And? Am I the only one who thinks it's disgusting that apparently you can't love someone without being expected to buy them $20 roses and whatnot. Gifts should be just what their name implies- something you get for free because someone else cares about you. Not something you whine about until you get because an arbitrary holiday says you deserve them. Seriously, has it ever occurred to you that if you have to whine at someone to get you a gift, or act romantic, or whatever, then they're probably just doing it to stop you bitching at them, and it's really not worth that much at all?

Comments

nibawan 0

do you really need another necklace/ring/flowers? too bad for you

nates0210 0

dump him. he is a jerk and working at a bank sounds like he is boring as crud.

Working at the bank is probably what caused his backlash against capitalist consumerism. you should cut him a break because he clearly understands issues that you do not.

your boyfriend might be trying to spend Valentines Day with someone else who probably works at the bank with him since he spends more time there than with you. works 364 days? Right.

sourgirl101 28

How much is a card going to cost him? Hopefully a night without sex. Let him know that Im sure you'll get something.

Yeah, because whoring yourself out for $1.50 worth of paper is SOOOOO romantic.

nibawan 0

if you need a persent to convince you to have sex with your bf then he is not the one with a problem

that sounds a lot like 500 days of summer fyl

Eh, he just doesn't want to put in the effort. Whatever. Do something for him, instead. Most Valentine's Days, I was always stuck doing something for a boyfriend, and not the other way around. Whatev, not a huge deal. If it bothers you that much, maybe you need to find someone more willing to do the romantic things. I did.

dang that sucks.. my dad and me call it singles awerness day cause ever year scince scince 7th grade i have been single on that day.. and for the last 3 or 4 years my dads been single..

nowhere near 364. banks get hella days off

WearingHats 14

That's not what she meant. He appreciates the consumerism every day of the year EXCEPT for Valentines day. She didn't say he worked 364 days a year.