Get on with it

By InnocenceBlue - 31/07/2019 12:00

Today, I finally managed to get my electrician boyfriend to agree to replace our old lights, after a year of asking. Saturday, he couldn't be bothered and Sunday he came down with a mysterious man flu. This is about the 10th time this has happened. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 732
You deserved it 342

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TomeDr 24

Hire someone to do it. If he gets mad at you, flat out tell him you’re tired of him stalling. Yes, his ego will take a beating but at least you’ll have your lights.

Plan a very romantic dinner at home incl. wearing lingerie to the dining table; then tell him after eating that you've suddenly come down with the "flu" and cancel the rest of the evening. Repeat until new lights are installed.

Comments

TomeDr 24

Hire someone to do it. If he gets mad at you, flat out tell him you’re tired of him stalling. Yes, his ego will take a beating but at least you’ll have your lights.

I was going to recommending hiring someone too! That will KILL him, trust me...

Never underestimate the mysterious man flu - that is serious business and possibly fatal. While he regains his strength, you could help him through his severe condition by not putting any strain on him - in this case hiring a guy to perform the tasks at hand would be really considerate 😂

Franklin George Clapp 4

So when you’re off work do you do your job for free too?

Return question: If you cook, do laundry, etc do you just do it for yourself and tell your partner and family to do their own stuff because you're off work and thus won't do stuff for others? When a friend moves and asks for help, do you demand a work contact and payment to help them? Come on, get some common sense. The guy works in the field so obviously he can help his partner.

If you could repair your house at the fraction of the cost of hiring someone else to do it, chances are you would. In this instance, OP's boyfriend would be repaid with some new, and better, lights, and a grateful girlfriend. Anything else she wishes to give him after expressing her gratitude is her own doing.

I work in admin/accounts and manage all our money/ bills/ savings/investments so yes. I should mention we own our house in joint names and have a joint bank account so sure I could pay my boyfriend to do work on his house from his bank account but that seems a little counterproductive doesn't it?

2shack 7

Honestly, most trades people are tired of doing “work” when they get home and usually just want to relax and do other stuff.

Its his house too. I'm a groomer but own my own dogs, does that mean my own dogs should be filthy and unkempt? Either I have to take care of whats mine or get someone else to do it.

I agree. I am good with my hands and my flatmate has a list of stuff to be fixed up on the kitchen wall. I know it is my place too and I should do it but, man, I am so tired by the time that I get home that I just want to relax. I have no idea what causes this internal resistance to it.

So then he should admit he does not intend to do it and leave her to either hire someone or muddle he way through using a YouTube tutorial (I have changed lights, they are often a five minute job, though admittedly some are a huge project). No need to say he'll do it if he doesn't wanna.

That's called laziness, and an unwillingness to be a responsible adult, Iamthebanzai22.

Hire another electrician to do the job and pay him with sex. Your boyfriend is probably more interested in the “mysterious man” anyways. Did you ever wonder how he contracted this flu from him? Ha!

Plan a very romantic dinner at home incl. wearing lingerie to the dining table; then tell him after eating that you've suddenly come down with the "flu" and cancel the rest of the evening. Repeat until new lights are installed.

I'm going to go all mumsnet on this one: LTB!

Have an electrician come in and do it for you. While your b/f is there. And be sure to point out how you have been bugging your b/f for over a year and he kept blowing it off so you had to make a decision... His man pride will be sore.

Hire someone to do it using his money to do it.

If only we didn't have joint bank accounts lol

RamblingDreamer 7

If his name is Johnnie, he might be my ex. If he is, he's never going to do it. We broke up after 10 years, and some of his projects still weren't finished. 🙄