By Axelerate - 21/06/2014 06:49 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, while ringing up a girl, I asked for an ID to verify her credit card. She said she forgot it but pulls out her Facebook on her phone to show me it really is hers. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 013
You deserved it 5 187

Axelerate tells us more.

Hey it got posted! This girl was around her mid 20s. I work in a souvenir shop in Vegas and company policy states to verify credit cards with photo ID. With debit cards all they need is their PIN. Credit, all they do is sign but c'mon, anybody can sign the name if it's stolen. Right after she does this, I couldn't help but to burst out laughing. Can't anybody just go and change their name on Facebook anyways? She got a little irritated but I'm sure even she knew it has to be an actual ID. I wouldn't risk a write-up and tell her it's fine but she paid with cash and all was good!

Top comments

gjikvtj 18

Comments

Cool story bro. Now make me a sandwich. With mayonnaise.

well let's just see if we put a potion to recognize Facebook. as part recognized photo ID all the facebooks users profile pic would look like their licence photo... social media is dragging people to do things which one never thought of doing it...

Maybe your license photo looks like mr. Perfect himself, but most people's licence/ID pictures look like absolute crap and are from about 3 years ago. I'd rather not have my ID pic on my facebook, just sayin'

Actually visa and MasterCard have it in their policy that it is not needed to ask for ID to use the card. Doing so can result in losing the right to take visa and mastercard

Where on this green earth did you get THAT?

Actually 41... "When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their regular card acceptance procedures..."(Rules for Visa Merchants, p.29) There's another one for MasterCard also... Though I think one wall of text is enough for me.

The caveat to the no ID rule for Visa and Master Card... " On the other hand, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government ID"

Yeh, unfortunately we don't know if she signed it or not. We could assume she didn't, because, who really signs the card when they get it?

Haha it's good to know I'm not the only one!!

Yeah and my real names Papa Smash.. (Can I use my card now?!)

KingRex 22

Maybe a cop will pull her over for something and ticket her for driving without a license. Then she'll show him her FB to prove "she can drive."

Well, as long as she has a photo in a car on her Facebook...

97mailo 17

She tried to use her profile picture and her name a ID Facebook has nothing to do with driving license and ID are two way different things

pwnman 33

But how so we know if she didn't hack that account?¿?

Jesswokethisfall 11
Jesswokethisfall 11

lol brah your comment is as stupid as her action. xD

I never knew there were places that asked for ID when using a credit card, I always thought that the card's PIN would remove any need. What would happen if you had no ID?

You're thinking of an atm card you sign for credit cards (unless you're getting a cash advance) if you don't have ID with a credit card they won't take it.

Jesswokethisfall 11

if it doesnt have a signature in the back theyre likely to ask or if it says "ask for ID" in place of a signature

cryssycakesx3 22

also, sometimes the places where you slide them yourself do not ask either.

We don't use ID for credit cards either. It was always 'sign or pin' but they they've phased out signing for pin only. I live in Australia so maybe they use IDs in other parts of the world.

In Canada you almost never have to be ID'd for credit card purchases, because most people have PINs on their credit cards. I think the only time you would be need ID is if you have no PIN on your card and you're making a very large purchase, like jewelry. I've personally never been ID'd when buying with credit in Canada.

In America, only bank debit cards (some times also called check cards) have a pin. A credit card may have a pin but it is only used for cash advances. Cashiers are supposed to ask for ID with any credit card purchases since they only get a signature. They are supposed to confirm the name on the card with the name on the ID and the picture to the person in front of them. However, I live in Phoenix and the only place that has ever asked to see ID with my card is the local movie theater chain.

Well in Canada I have never been asked for ID with my credit card, and here you can only get new cards with a chip on it for debits and visas, unless it's a temp card or a prepaid card.

It's her fault she is dumb enough to post that.