By mousiepie - 02/05/2014 09:36 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my wrists were hurting really bad while working the production line. I was told to let my supervisor know so he can help accommodate it. Both supervisors responded by ending my employment there to make sure I don't suffer long term damage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 350
You deserved it 4 528

mousiepie tells us more.

well, it was a contracting job. I've had weak wrists all my life but I normally just wear wrist braces and I do just fine. I hadn't wanted to say anything but also having still been new, I figured the bulk of the pain was from the repetitive motions from a 12 hour shift and that once I had been there a while, most of the pain would disappear. When my coworkers noticed the pain from my hands not working properly they suggested the nurse and I asked if she can provide a wrist wrap. They then said I needed to talk to my supervisor before the nurse and being a medical facility, they stated that they can't say they care about saving lives and the safety of the employees if they allow me to get hurt. They then directed me to my contracting supervisor who stated they will find a clerical type job for me. I just felt lame for the fact that for once I was told I couldn't perform a job because I might injure myself. :/ I appreciate the support and kindness though. Thank you.

Top comments

Aww, sucks to hear, but if it was "at will" employment there isn't much you can do about it.

Comments

Sorry about the loss of your job OP...look at the bright side at least you can now find a job better suited for you, and with co-workers that actually care

areyouHIclaire 8

Sounds like what they do at International automotive components. same happened to me. but it's a at will state so nothing I could do.

That's not right...at least use a splint for bit or give you some time off to get it checked out

Sounds like something my workplace would do. I actually checked your location! This is why I don't tell them medical things when I probably should.

Find a good workers comp attorney. That is called a repetitive stress injury and it doesn't matter that you didn't file an incident report I had that happen with a rep stress injury to my shoulder

So you're complaining that they got you fired so you don't have permanent damage in your hands? What's wrong with that? Would you rather suffer chronic pains?

They're suppose to send you to the doctor not fire you.

RedPillSucks 31

I think OP would rather have a job where they care about the employees health

I agree that was a very shity thing for them to do. I wonder how long OP was working at the job. If it had only been a little while they may have felt that he was not a good fit for the job if he was already having pain that affected his work. No matter how crappy it is, companies can terminate if they feel that the employee can and will injure themselves. Here in Texas they don't even have to give a reason to terminate someone bacause its a fire at will state. I'm sorry that happened OP and I hope you got a new job quickly.

Depending on where you are from and the circumstances this could be illegal.

You can sue...There was no actual reason to fire you

It depends on what state OP is in.