By mousiepie - 02/05/2014 09:36 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my wrists were hurting really bad while working the production line. I was told to let my supervisor know so he can help accommodate it. Both supervisors responded by ending my employment there to make sure I don't suffer long term damage. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 350
You deserved it 4 528

mousiepie tells us more.

well, it was a contracting job. I've had weak wrists all my life but I normally just wear wrist braces and I do just fine. I hadn't wanted to say anything but also having still been new, I figured the bulk of the pain was from the repetitive motions from a 12 hour shift and that once I had been there a while, most of the pain would disappear. When my coworkers noticed the pain from my hands not working properly they suggested the nurse and I asked if she can provide a wrist wrap. They then said I needed to talk to my supervisor before the nurse and being a medical facility, they stated that they can't say they care about saving lives and the safety of the employees if they allow me to get hurt. They then directed me to my contracting supervisor who stated they will find a clerical type job for me. I just felt lame for the fact that for once I was told I couldn't perform a job because I might injure myself. :/ I appreciate the support and kindness though. Thank you.

Top comments

Aww, sucks to hear, but if it was "at will" employment there isn't much you can do about it.

Comments

HeyImAmy 20

You can sue on grounds of "wrongful termination". If some part of your body is bothering you, your boss(es) or, in this case supervisors, have to make sure you are comfortable on the job. It's illegal to fire someone just because, using your FML as an example, your wrists hurt and someone/some people doesn't/don't want to be liable for anything, in the future. By the way, to the people commenting and saying that, if there is nothing that can be done, it's okay to fire someone.... There is NEVER a "nothing can be done to help you" excuse"! Legally, you ALWAYS have to find a way to fix something and there are solutions to just about every problem out there. OP, like I said, you have to fight this. If not, your only other option is to try and find a job where people actually care about their employees.

File for wrongful dismissal and take it up with your labour board.. Don't let them just get away with it. it wasn't right nor fair of them.

Yeah I had that kind of help from a boss before, I sued I also run keep your chin up get a lawyer and on their ******* asses. Discrimination is not cool! And neither is being a jackass!

Aleura 7

Sounds like they didn't want to pay worker's compensation.

devans00 14

Welcome to the United States of Capitalism. By getting rid of unions, big companies made sure workers like you have no rights.

Thank you #101, i'll be alright(: I wish I knew more places in my area hiring right now though. I've been everywhere and applied everywhere I saw a hiring sign or a hiring application online. :/ If anyone has suggestions or has seen anything, it would be much appreciated..

Firing you because you're slowly being injured on the job to avoid the consequences is ridiculous. Better lawyer up, OP; jobs are too scarce these days to take something like this sitting down.