By Anonymous - 02/04/2014 11:30 - Australia - Maribyrnong

Today, my students all handed in their 1,000 word papers. The assignment was for them to write about a strong, benevolent leader who influenced the world. Around half of the papers were about Hitler. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 176
You deserved it 10 581

Same thing different taste

Top comments

pwnman 33

I did not Nazi that coming, nor you did.

Comments

One troll was tired of half the class's copying her homework.

They probably didn't know what benevolent meant :/

hi guys, OP here. i just created an account so icould comment on this! Im happy (and kind of depressed) that my FML was posted. My class is kind of mixed and i have some brilliant students in it who wrote amazing papers on people such as Nelson Mandela. on the other hand, some of my students aren't so great. most of the kids who wrote on Hitler were just plain stupid but some are very twisted, like all creepy and dark and grim. My class is alright overall and though it is wrong, all of the Nazi puns are really making me laugh!

Hope you explained to them in detail what the term "benevolent" implies. If neccessary, just mention that someone who was the leading figure in orchestrating the worst thing that ever happened in human history, the Holocaust, can never be considered benevolent... ever. At all times. Also, this might just be me, but I'd tell those who wrote on Hitler to redo the assignment or get a failing grade for it. There are points where you have to draw the line and writing an essay about Hitler being benevolent should be waaaay past that.

Dawnstempest 17

Hahahaha Mandela as a benevolent leader? He was just as benevolent and good a leader as Hitler (so that it's clear -- he sucked. It's just a shame that unlike Hitler he didn't suck a gun too). You talk about how foolish your students were... Yet you are right there with them. To keep it short and simple. UmKhonto we Sizewe (that lovely terrorist group the Western Media left out of their Praise SAINT Mandela campaign of late) belongs to the ANC. And guess who was the head of the UmKhonto we Sizewe? M-A-N-D-E-L-A. At his head the organization lead brutal attacks against the CIVILIAN POPULATION from 1983-1988. A fact Mandela refused to APOLOGIZE For (the Pretoria Sterland movie complex gives a great example of this). He was so much of a trashy person that Amnesty International -- who goes to bat for the Innocent and not-so-but-believed to be innocent -- REFUSED to take his side and defend him because of just how bad a criminal he was. If that doesn't tell you the kinda trash he is, you should see some of the cases Amnesty has picked up in their history. And all this is to say nothing of the crimes that happened once he was in power. But I expect nothing else from a Western teacher these days.

Well hitler was considered very good at giving speeches and talking to people. Even though what he did was bad he was a good leader..

Still doesn't qualify as "benevolent". He is the person behind the Holocaust, the most horrible thing that ever happened in human history. He even has a phrase coined after him: "worse than Hitler", as in "You're worse than Hitler". It's used because it implies that no human being can ever be as bad as he was and that the thought of someone being even worse is extremely abstruse and unbelievable.

in the US atleast, im sure a few people will agree with me that the only leaders really talked about heavily are the US presidents and Hitler. its not a good thing, but i have found it to be true back in my public school career.

You might want to teach them the meaning of benevolent

Maybe they thought the word was synonymous with "malevolent," and Hitler did influence the world, just in a bad way. Did you explain what "benevolent" meant?

To be fair, Hitler was exactly that-you never said a positive influence!

Hitler was the most influential leader this world has ever seen. He was a great public speaker and was great at rallying countries.