By Elliott_B - 24/06/2011 15:54 - United States

Today, my neighbor passed away, and my father and I went to give his wife our condolences. In the middle of my dad's conversation with the wife, he says "I'm sorry for your loss, I knew Jim well, he was a great guy." The wife stares at him and says, "His name was Rich." FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 121
You deserved it 6 756

Elliott_B tells us more.

Elliott_B 3

OP here, just for some more info we had given her a card at the same time and my dad wrote Rich in it, he just accidentally let Jim slip on accident. my dad is not an "idiot", he just wasn't thinking clearly at the time

Top comments

iAmScrubs 19

It's time to jump in your Batmobile and make a get-away.

Comments

Brannie 4

this is a good time to have a smoke bomb to disappear.

maybe he knew her other husband. and HIS name was jim

igotnolegs 1

Next door neighbours remember?

iwishicould 7

he shouldve just been all, yeah, what did I say?

green_eggs_and_h 0

This seems like more of an FML for op's father than for op himself.

Well, I'm assuming the OP is embarrassed to be associated with his father. I mean really? If you don't even know the guys name, buy the widow some flowers and keep your mouth shut..

GunnarG9 0

wow that's awful. not to be mean, but your dads pretty stupid.

Just because you say "not to be mean", it doesn't give you a license to be an ass. Misspeaking doesn't make someone stupid.

Yeah well not to be mean, but your kind of a bitch OP.

CateXOX 0

27- I agree. It's like "no offense". Just because you say "no offense" before "... but you're fat", or "... but your mom looks like sasquatch", or "... but your dad's pretty stupid", it does not mean someone's not going to take offense. It really doesn't change anything. You're still a douche.

Monikabug 9

Agreed. The term "no offense" is a load of bollocks. The reason we say it is because we know what we say next is offensive to the person and will most likely be interpreted as such. Just because you throw in "No offense!" doesn't make it magically inoffensive! Get a clue, people.

IGotNippleRings 4

Why FYL? You aren't the one who said that? Your dad really fukked that one up, lol.

ThisGi 0

wow that would be incredibly awkward

If the OP's father really knew the dead guy so well, he wouldn't have had to say so to the wife. She would have known already.