By DidNotExpectThat - 18/07/2016 07:30 - United States - Palo Alto

Today, my mom figured that the best time to announce that I'm adopted was during her speech at my wedding. FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 847
You deserved it 1 420

DidNotExpectThat tells us more.

OP here. My wedding was 3 weeks ago. Thanks for your kind comments, but no my mom wasn't drunk (she never drinks). I had a long conversation with her and my dad. Turns out she couldn't keep it to herself any longer. I'm no longer mad at her since she told me the whole story. Both my parents always told me a lot about their deceased best friend whom I'm named after. I'm actually that friend's daughter and my family took me in when both my biological parents died in a car accident when I was 3 months old. In a way, I know my biological parents through the memories of my adoptive parents. I've never suspected a thing since I have two little brothers and I kind of look like my mom. Telling me and everyone I love at my wedding was a way for her to honor her dear friend and 'share' that special moment in my life with her.

Top comments

What was she thinking?! Usually speeches at weddings are supposed to be funny and heartwarming, but your mom took it to another level. I hope this didn't ruin your day; then again, I don't know how it couldn't have.

Well that wasn't an appropriate time. She should be ashamed for bringing sadness to one of the happiest days of your life.

Comments

Malsain_fml 10

Quite unbelievable... I guessed she got carried away by emotion and wanted to point out how much they love her even if she is not her biological child. Guess the husband appreciated too how is wife was focus on repassing her life instead of enjoying the day.

Don't feel sad about it. It goes to show how much you're loved...that you never even knew you were adopted. Besides, birth parents don't get a choice whom they give birth to; your mum chose you!

Or OP had no idea why their parents were abusive, distant, or never understanding. No way to know OP had a great, loving relationship. Also, adoptive parents do choose. but most choose babies or "the cute one". They likely didn't know you would be.

Not only was this an inappropriate time to announce this, but the fact that they waited until you were of marrying age and still hadn't told you you were adopted just isn't right. Hiding the fact that a person is adopted makes it seem as if it's something to be ashamed of, which it isn't, at all. I personally think you should be honest about this stuff from the beginning, so there's complete understanding.

Not only that, but think about it you go to the doctor and full out family health history stuff, you could have missed or been assumed to have something pretty serious simply because you didn't know.

Hey, at least you know you weren't an accident (for your actual family, the one that raised you).

I know it's a shitty time and place to find out but at least you know that you're wanted and were wanted. I hope you find a way to accept this. And I hope your mum apologises

TheEpicKitten 20

Did she never tell you beforehand? That a long time to keep that from you

LAURA_EL_JUICE 6

Plot twist: the reason she spoke up now is because OP was about to marry her bio brother

Horrible timing aside, it's not a big deal. Never has been for me, anyway.