By _7_8_9__1 - 12/01/2016 03:25 - United States

Today, my anxiety was escalating so I decided to try an anti-anxiety adult coloring book to calm myself down. Too bad I got more stressed out about which colors I should use. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 580
You deserved it 4 013

_7_8_9__1 tells us more.

OP here! I love coloring, but the designs in my favorite book are so complex, it's difficult to find a number of compatible colors. I was trying to use mostly bright colors and ran out of selections. I am already medicated and in therapy for my anxiety along with other things. @18 thank you for the advice! I might do that one day and I'll let you know how it goes!

Top comments

Unleash your four year old self and color everything the same color scribbles with hints of weird Browns and rainbow **** ups

snarkytruth 37

Don't get caught up in how it's going to look when it's done. It's the process of putting the color onto the paper that's relaxing. Not the end product. Try crayons, pencils, markers or paint. Find your favorite medium and enjoy playing. Limit your colors and it's a lot easier to choose and not stress over colors. . Only shades of blues (call it your blue period lol) or choose only three or four that compliment each other. Mandela patterns are great to start with there are no rules, right or wrong. Or simply don't choose at all, close your eyes and just pick one up and go with it. Title it Serendipity. Do that on a blank page charge $300 and it's modern art! It is YOUR art It only has to make YOU happy. Practice letting that uptight feeling go. Do a couple of pages intentionally going for the ugliest you can imagine like those ugly Christmas sweaters. Or opposite colors green sky, blue grass, black sun, purple people whatever. Just concentrate on the movement and textures. Explore what color combos are most pleasing to you. Just enjoy the doing of it. It's the journey not the destination yadda yadda.... If you really hate the picture when you're done paint over it or just tear it out destroy it and toss it in the trash and it never existed. ;) Start all over again and try something different. I like to print several copies of the same page and try out different color combinations when I figure out what I like best then do that on the sheet in the book. It makes the book last longer and I get more coloring time out of it. Only rule is to have fun.

Comments

Unleash your four year old self and color everything the same color scribbles with hints of weird Browns and rainbow **** ups

I actually did that with a frog in my adult coloring book it worked and calm myself down

I think we've seen an fml similar to this before. I find them quite relaxing myself but obviously it doesn't work for everyone. If I feel the anxiety wave coming along I find it really helps me. Sucks that it doesn't for you. Hope you find something that works for you.

josiemorehouse 12

Same here #2, I find them quite relaxing. I pop earbuds in, turn on some loud hard rock/metal, and color away. I try to make my colors fit together by laying pencils that are a few shades of a certain color across the middle of the page, and see which I like best. OP, if you have trouble controlling your anxiety, maybe try meditation with music, taking a walk, or deep breathing. If it's too bad, it may be time to consult a doctor or psychiatrist.

At first I was somewhat like OP, although probably not to that extent. I was way too focused on what pattern to use and how I wanted it to look in the end. Finally I unleashed my inner Bob Ross and just started picking random colors and it turned out fine. Hopefully you will get there OP!

You can't treat your anxiety by babying yourself and allowing yourself to be someone who can't even color in a book without breaking down. Please let that be rock bottom. Also, I understand anxiety and what it is and it only gets worse if you truly believe you have no control over it

tantanpanda 26

I don't have anxiety, but it really is kinda stressful choosing a color scheme that's not repetitive. Plus, adult coloring books have complex designs to color in.

@42 Apparently you got your understanding of anxiety from Michael and Debi Pearl.

random_person243 14

I have some pretty bad anxiety but I have found that medicinal marijuana is the best route for me

Those colouring books don't work for everyone. Maybe try something else?

or just chose one color and use it to color EVERYTHING.

TweetAnne 13

Coloring has no rules. Do what you want with it. If you want a red turtle you color a red turtle. If you want the sky green color it green. If not I would just get blank paper and draw and color whatever comes to mind.

I think that's part of the problem! OP stresses out because she doesn't know what colours she wants to use. I struggle to know what I want from time to time, it can be very stressful.

you know, for what it's worth, I am visualizing a red turtle and a green sky and it is very soothing !

Anxiety relief: You're doing it wrong. Rip that shitty coloring book to shreds.

Oyas12 14

R.I.P. - that shitty coloring book

Have fun with it. Color a few and keep them with you. Randomly hang them in people's cubicles at work. On light poles. In public restrooms. The back of the Uber driver's seat. Next time you visit your parents, surreptitiously hang a couple on their refrigerator with magnets before you go home.

use ALL the colours at the same time. Seriously, you should try.

I really only use adult coloring books for the articles.

Make sure you don't get one that has too intricate details. That can also cause more stress

Marijuana can make anxiety worse, especially if you're not used to it.

TAntobella 14

I completely agree. Marjuana takes the edge off and helps seeing things in perspective. If you vaporise it, rather than smoking it, it is SO much better than medications.