By Anonymous - 23/04/2015 12:28 - United Kingdom - Dundee

Today, it was my 18th birthday and I was told I couldn't get the night off work because a party of 34 had booked into the restaurant. It turned out my family had come in to 'celebrate' by making me wait on them. They were a nightmare, thought it was hilarious to be difficult, and didn't tip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 391
You deserved it 2 819

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As a former waiter I feel your pain. It would be entirely within your rights to not speak to your family for several days.

Okay OP, I promise I'm not being sarcastic or mean when I say this: Happy birthday. I'm sorry your family were horrible to you, but you can get your own back soon!

Comments

ber4fun 23

OP could still do this another time at home, but hopefully she'll just choose to forgive them as time passes.

FusionPlacebo 26

I'm so sorry, OP. Your family sounds a bit rude, especially since they didn't even tip you...I hope you have a fine birthday without them.

Geckosrock99 33

Wow... Your family's messed up. The day was supposed to be about you. Tell them how much they hurt/embarrassed/bothered you and refuse to talk to or acknowledge them until they each at least give you a sincere apology.

Exactly. Not a funny joke at all. Who does that?

Even an apology feels like just words to someone in this situation, this is such a harsh thing to do. I say they owe OP a "re-do" of her birthday where they take her wherever she wants to go and put together and pay for everything

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Also, off topic; does anyone know what "******" means on the profile page? I just noticed it and can't find information on it in the FAQ section. Is it good or bad?

stop complaining please! Really, what's wrong with you? You had ur family with you on your birthday, how is that supposed to be sad? You should cherished those moments and start looking at the bright side!

You're right. I was just musing that my social circle isn't very big.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Yeah, hopefully as "the last day I let my family walk all over me".

I'm 24, on my 18th my brother was horrible to me, shouted and screamed that I was selfish because he wasn't getting attention, threw a massive party and all his friends got drunk and I had to clean the mess. I also had to work on my 18th, so it had been a shitty day and I didn't need to come home to a drunk brother, who was being a complete ****. I'm trying to look back on that one "fondly", but it's hard to do when someone close, whom you love and respect, goes out their way to destroy something special.

I'm sorry hun. Happy birthday from SoCal btw!

Wow that is awful! ): I wouldn't talk to them for a few days. I'm sorry op, happy birthday, and I hope things got better for you afterwards.

Hopefully a surprise party when you get home. Even if there is no party, I hope that you have a happy birthday.

What wonderful people! I think it's a rule that 18th birthdays suck, unless you have great luck.